Please remind me how to do optional POI

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Please remind me how to do optional POI

Post by Peobody »

I am working on a five-dayer in Basecamp in which I want to include a number of optional POI's which we can just ride past the turn to them should we choose not to visit. I'm thinking that I want them to be alerting so that I'm reminded of them but I don't want the XT to force me to skip them if we don't visit. I don't think there will need to be any other route points between the main route and the POI. What are your suggestions for the best way to handle this?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Please remind me how to do optional POI

Post by lkraus »

{deleted duplicate post}
Last edited by lkraus on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

@jfheath did a very nice job in this video:
The gist of what you want starts at about the 3 minute mark.

I might add another via point before the turn to the Sligachan hotel in the example, labelled "hotel turn else", which would remind me that I have an option, turn to the hotel or else continue straight.

For more extensive optional diversions, I have also created a separate track which I display with the main route (and the main track), again with an alerting via point before the turn so I have time to decide on a path, then just follow the track on screen. I can either follow the track back to the route, or just select another appropriately placed via point beyond the diversion to use with a route re-start.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @lkraus. That video along with your suggestions were exactly what I needed.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You just have to remember that the XT will probably change the name of your Route points. To prevent this I have started to create waypoints in BC for the points that I intend to be Vias. The XT doesn't alter them.

I might have said that in the video - cant remember, and I don't like listening to my own voice !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:13 pm You just have to remember that the XT will probably change the name of your Route points. To prevent this I have started to create waypoints in BC for the points that I intend to be Vias. The XT doesn't alter them.
The route point rename issue has never been one for me. I have almost always created my routes by first dropping waypoints where I want to go. I rubber-band or insert route points when I need to wrangle BC into compliance so if those change, I likely won't notice (I only recall noticing it once). Selectively tripping the non-alerting switch gets done sometime in the creation process.

Minimizing the chance of having to use Skip is where my head was at when I started this thread.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:34 pm
The route point rename issue has never been one for me. I have almost always created my routes by first dropping waypoints where I want to go.
Can I ask what you mean by ''dropping a waypoint' ?

I create and name a few Waypoints when planning a ride. They are saved and appear in BC's lower left window pane along with the routes and tracks. Then I select them and ask BC to create a route using the selected points. Most, but not all of these will become my Via points. Then like you, I insert / rubber band additional points - most of which will be set as shaping / non-alerting.

I'm just checking because it isn't possible to drop a waypoint into a route. It's probably just a difference in turn of phrase.

I've just answered another post where there is a confusion between POIs and Waypoints.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:07 am Can I ask what you mean by ''dropping a waypoint' ?

I create and name a few Waypoints when planning a ride. They are saved and appear in BC's lower left window pane along with the routes and tracks. Then I select them and ask BC to create a route using the selected points. Most, but not all of these will become my Via points. Then like you, I insert / rubber band additional points - most of which will be set as shaping / non-alerting.
I believe that your "create and name" is my "drop". I use the arrow, plus, and minus keys to move and zoom the map while I use the waypoint tool to place (drop) waypoints on the roads I plan to ride, attempting to be strategic in their placement so as to control the resulting route. I may rename each one as I go, prefixing with a sequential code of some sort, depending on the intent and length of the route. Then, like you, I select them all > create route from selected.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes, that's identical.

Thats why you don't have any renaming issues !