Garmin Vehicle Power Cable With Extra USB Charging Port

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Jim1348
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Garmin Vehicle Power Cable With Extra USB Charging Port

Post by Jim1348 »

I have a Garmin Zumo XT. I want to use the Vehicle Power Cable with Extra USB Charging Port PART # 010-12840-00 with the Garmin Zumo. On the website that comes up with the link below, I see the disclaimer "NOTE: This accessory only works with Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Amazon Alexa." Why can't that cable be used with the Garmin Zumo?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/639491
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Vehicle Power Cable With Extra USB Charging Port

Post by jfheath »

They will be talking about the connector at the other end of the cable. I imagine that the USB connection is in the back of the plug. If you want a USB power source that fits in a cigarette lighter socket, there are better solutions available.

BUT - using the USB connector to power your XT is not a good idea on a motorcycle. It will work, but the vibrations will eventually destroy the internal connections between the USB socket and the circuit board. The car cradle relies on power using the USB socket - but that doesn't have the same vibrations and shaking of the cable due to wind.

Why do you not want to use the Garmin power cable to the cradle ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Jim1348 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:44 am I have a Garmin Zumo XT. I want to use the Vehicle Power Cable with Extra USB Charging Port PART # 010-12840-00 with the Garmin Zumo. On the website that comes up with the link below, I see the disclaimer "NOTE: This accessory only works with Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Amazon Alexa." Why can't that cable be used with the Garmin Zumo?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/639491
The plug on the cable that you have posted looks like a micro usb, the plug on the XT is a mini usb. As others have mentioned a usb provides no protection for vibration or moisture.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I'm tempted to bite the bullet and purchase another bike mount and cable for use in my car. I hate that using the USB port in the car setup means lots of stress on the XT's port as you plug and unplug every time you take the unit down or put it in the mount.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The side view of the USB plug is poor, but I think it shows a mini-USB. Looking at my micro plugs, lighting at that angle shows a single line between light and dark sides, while a mini-USB plug shows a dark line at the indentation bordered by bright reflections on each side.

I found a rear view of the Drivesmart 65 at [url]https://funtreks.com/product/garmin-drivesmart-65/[/url.
usb.jpg
usb.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Looks like a mini-USB to me, same orientation as the XT.
Specs show ample power, so I think it would work.

I checked the part number for the adapter (320-00239-50) supplied with my Garmin XT car mount kit and found it also works with about a hundred other Garmins, including the Drivesmart series.

Although I think this charger would work, I would use a generic multiport USB adapter with at least one 2 amp port and a separate USB cable. Search for a "USB 2.0 A to Up Angle Mini-B Cable" of about 3 feet. The adapter and cable will be less than half the cost of the Garmin version.

@danham's idea of using a bike mount is worth considering. I don't like leaving my XT in view when I park and needing to unplug/plug every time is a nuisance. I bought the car mount because it was quick and easy, but I often just use Google on my phone to avoid dealing with the cord.
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Has anybody ever "worn out" a Mini USB port? I've got some gear that is 15-20 years old, with a MiniUSB port that still works just fine.

I don't see the harm in just using a cable for the XT when in the car. Adding a bike mount just adds extra junk on the dash/windshield/wherever you mount it.

FWIW I have cable with a 90-degree connector on the MiniUSB/XT side of things, so the cable comes straight down the back of the XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

cr0100 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:31 pm Has anybody ever "worn out" a Mini USB port?
"Worn out" is the wrong term. They break, like the solder holding it in place fails. My XT was replaced under warranty due to this failure. Causes I picture are: 1) vibration if being powered by the USB cable, 2) a sideways tug on the cord while it is in the plug, 3) setting the device down on a plugged-in cord, or 4) a drop of the device while the cord is in the plug. I don't know which one did mine in but I did a little of all but the dropping before learning how fragile the plug is.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I have not had a problem with a mini-USB. I did use my phone for a bike GPS for a season. The micro-USB port on the phone failed three times before I gave up on the idea. Fortunately the USB port was on a small circuit board that I could replace for about $10, but the phone case did suffer from the repeated opening, and I'm sure it was no longer water resistant.