Which map to use?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
craig.wagner
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Which map to use?

Post by craig.wagner »

I see the same map repeated three times in BaseCamp (City Navigator North American NT 2025.1). Looking at the map details, one of them is the one installed on the PC and the other two are in some oddly named temporary folder.

Depending on which one I pick, a route will be calculated differently, so I'm not sure which one I should be using when planning my route so it'll recalculate correctly on the XT2.
Screenshot 2024-03-30 115039.png
Screenshot 2024-03-30 115039.png (6.85 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Which map to use?

Post by Peobody »

Use the installed one.

I am curious about two things that I hope someone can shed some light one.
1. Why are the two extra maps are there. That is common when a device like the XT is connected but in that case the maps are clearly marked with the source, either "Installed" or "ZumoXT".
2. Why would route calculation be different when using the same map with a different source.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

You should only have one CN NA 2025.1 on the computer. If you somehow see more than one with the Zumo unplugged, I would uninstall all of them and reinstall from Express (once).

If the Zumo is plugged in, you see should see three. The one installed on the computer which is all of NA. The other two are the same map on the Zumo, but split. One covers the U.S. only and one covers Canada and Mexico. The maps are split to work around the Zumo FAT32 file system which restricts files to only 4 GB each. Changing between these maps should not change the routing since they are just different copies of the same map versions.

In fact, a little experimentation makes me think that Basecamp actually uses only the computer copy if it is available. If I uninstall the computer version, I can tell which of the Zumo maps is U.S and which is CA/MX by the amount of detail available (be patient, these load slowly over USB). Re-install the map on the PC and it is clear that the computer copy is the only map actually being used because there is high detail everywhere and panning/zooming is much faster, regardless of which of the three 2025.1 choices I select.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:38 pm Use the installed one.

I am curious about two things that I hope someone can shed some light one.
1. Why are the two extra maps are there. That is common when a device like the XT is connected but in that case the maps are clearly marked with the source, either "Installed" or "ZumoXT".
2. Why would route calculation be different when using the same map with a different source.
On my PC, the Maps toolbar dropdown shows three copies as shown in Craig's post, but the Maps menu does not show the location of the map, or that there are multiple copies available. The options from the menu only show one instance of the map, with empty parentheses after it when the XT is connected.
menu.jpg
menu.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 202 times
At some point long in the past, Basecamp did ask if I wanted to use the faster computer copy in all cases and I agreed, so someone who said NO might see different options.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

This is what mine looks like with the XT connected.
pasted.png
pasted.png (67.79 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Yes, I still have the old map installed. I keep it until I have high confidence in the new one.
lkraus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm At some point long in the past, Basecamp did ask if I wanted to use the faster computer copy in all cases and I agreed, so someone who said NO might see different options.
In that popup window there is a "Remember this choice" option. FWIW, the map list does not change when the active map is on the XT. I suspect that the "Remember this choice" option just disables that popup when you switch maps but I don't know for sure.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I thoght I had answered this one. I cannot have pressed send.

Ok - I guess that you have the Zumo connected. There will (probably) be two maps that it finds on the Zumo - (cos the map is too big to store it all in one file) and there will be one map for the one installed on the computer.

My computer version is the bottom one in the drop down list - but I cannot tell just by looking. When you click on either of the ones that are on the Zumo, BC tells you that there is one available on the computer and asks if you want to switch to it. Yes you do - because accessing the map from the Zumo is s...l...o...w. If it doesn't give a message when you click on on of those three, then you have selected the one ont he computer.

I never have the Zumo plugged in when using Basecamp, unless I am about to transfer files or I want to read / delete files from the Zumo.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.