Audio Volume Control Zumo 595

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Audio Volume Control Zumo 595

Post by carolinarider09 »

I finally got my new (to me) Zumo 595 interfaced with my 2015 Goldwing. The main issue was that I use an Autocom Super Pro Automatic for our headsets (I have used Autocom devices since 2007) and I had to remove the 665 wiring and install the 595 wiring.

Got it all up and running today and tested the music. First from the Wing. Second from the 595. The volume feeding the Autocom unit was significantly higher in signal strength from the 595 when compared to the 665 it replaced. And it was also significnaly higher than the Wing's audio (which also feeds the Autocom unit).

So, with the current setup I have the audio level out of the Garmin 595 set as the lowest level.

My next step is to look at the Autocom Unit to see if there is an internal audio input level control I can use to make the system a little more "user friendly"

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know.
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Audio Volume Control Zumo 595

Post by kernowing »

Doesn't your Autocom unit have individual volume controls for rider and pillion? I set my Super Pro volume much higher for my headset than the pillion--my wife has radar-like hearing, mine is "somewhat" impaired! The fader control on my '07 Wing controls the speaker setting, but not sure about the output to the headsets.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

My 590 is paired to a bluetooth earbud headset. The 590 tells me that audio volume is now controlled by the linked headset. I used the headset volume controls to set the volume to my liking.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I had the Super Pro AVI linked to my Zumo 660, 590 and 595. I believe the Automatic was a dgitial version of the AVI and fromt he manual it appears to perform the same functions.

First the 595.

There are three places that you can find volume controls. The quickest way toa ccess them is from the Volume button on the ain screen.
That shows
1. A Master volume control - this is the level that is fed out from the Zumo to the Autocom.
2. A mute button. The symbol is the same whether it is muted or not. The status is shown on the mail screen above the slider. The slider is not available if a Blue toothe device is being used for audio out.
3. A volume mixer. THis is available in the top left corner (landscape screen) by tapping the spanner. THis shows a number of features.
* Automatic Volume. Cant remember what this does.
* Navigation volume
* Phone
* Media
* Proximity alerts

None of these sound levels will come through if the master volume is set at 0% If you are worried that the level is too hight then I suggest setting the mixer volumes all to 100% and the master volume at (say) 70%. That makes it easier to increas the volume with the master slider.

Note that the master slider is not available if a headset is not attached. If you have the car mount with the built in speaker, and it is powered then that allows the master volume slider to be used. Otherwise your autocome has to be conencted to the audio out mini jack socket in the harness.

The Autocom has a number of volume controls too. One for the rider, one for the passenger and another which balances any music input to the autocom between rider and passenger. So that can be set to 100% rider and 100% passenger - (middle position). Turned towards rider, the rider volume remains at 100% the passenger gradully reduces to silent. Turned towards passenger, it is the passenger that remains at 100% riders volume that gradually reduces to silent.

Typically when you trunt he autocom and zumo on, the sound level is very low. It comes up to normal levels after a few seconds.
Also there is a squelch setting - I see that there are two on the SPA automatic. The ones labelled VOX. depending on other settings on the Autocom, when voice is heard from the mics, some devices cut out. You have to make sure that the Zumo is Zumo is plugged into the appropriate socket.

Be careful with trial and error. ON the SuperPro AVI, one of these sockets provided 12v power. Don't go plugging anything into that unless it is wired to accept that power - otherwise something will burn out. Your unit may be the same. Check the table in the manual.

Also - when you set off, the Autocom volume is too low for normal riding. It increases as a result of the noise level sensor in your helmet picking up wind noise. If trying things out with your helmet away from the bike, scratch the end of that sensor to force it to turn the volume up.

Here is a link to the SPA Automatic manual (I think).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the Autocom SPA, I was looking to see which of the "pots" on the printed circuit board control which inputs.

But I found out I did not need it when I found there were two volume controls on the 595. As you mentioned above, I think, one is "master" and on is the level or other stuff. In this case the MP3 player.

Did take the bike for a ride today to see how the update (new to me and the bike GPS) worked. It worked well. Only things that I need to address that I have not seen (but have not really looked) are the volume control for the, in my case, lady's voice for directions. That brings me to the second thing, the lady's voice. On my 665 is an Australian accented lady and I like her voice.

Let the GPS route me back home after we got about 20 miles out and it did fine. One nice thing was that if I did not want to do a turn (I knew were I wanted to go) it just re-routed with no complaints.

So, so far so good. MP3 player worked fine (for music). Have not converted the books yet and that will be another thing. Where to store them on the decide and how to access them.

Still learning. But it appears to be a good device. Again, have not really done any "designed" routes (well I have the one that jfheath converted for me and I have his documents. Lots of stuff there.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

carolinarider09 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 pm So, so far so good. MP3 player worked fine (for music). Have not converted the books yet and that will be another thing. Where to store them on the decide and how to access them.

Only things that I need to address that I have not seen (but have not really looked) are the volume control for the, in my case, lady's voice for directions.

Still learning. But it appears to be a good device. Again, have not really done any "designed" routes (well I have the one that jfheath converted for me and I have his documents. Lots of stuff there.
Good steady progress. The trick is to keep having minor successes otherwise it will drive you mad if you try to assume it behaves like the 665 !

You're on your own with the books - I know the 660 had something like that, but we couldn't use it in the UK - books were not available (as far as I know) in the correct format. I didn't realise the 595 had a book player. Unless you just mean mp3 files ?

The 'ladys voice' volume level will be the navigation slider in the volume mixer.

The Voice files are in Internal Storage / Voice. If you have one on your 665 and not on the 595, try just copying the appropriate .vpm file fromt he 665 and put it in a similar location on the 595.

The 595 is pretty good at navigating. It introduced a few annoying quirks which were then passed to the XT - but they are only noticed by people like me. It has a live track which alerts any people you nominate as soon as you tap the button to start the live track, and they get to see a website which updates your progress. I like it for when I go out Solo and my partner wants to check where I am and if I am still moving !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Good information I shall endeavor to learn. I do have a "Spot Tracker" that I use so that someone I select can see where the "Tracker" is. Interesting the 595 has basically the same thing.