Creating Japan route in Tread app?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
JapanBob
Japan

Creating Japan route in Tread app?

Post by JapanBob »

Hello! Bob in Japan here. Long-time Garmin user who is just becoming acquainted with the Zumo XT2. Glad to find this forum.

I know there are issues with the Tread app, but I'd be grateful if any of you who haven't deleted it yet could check something for me quickly: Are you able to create a route between two points in Japan?

In the app, I am able to create routes in the US, Canada, UK, Europe, etc... but I cannot create them in Japan (where I happen to live). Garmin sells the Zumo XT2 officially in Japan, and promotes use of the Tread app. It seems that it just doesn't work at all, which is a bit shocking, even for Garmin!

Every time I try to create a route, the app complains "Shaping point must be placed close to a road or trail", despite using no shaping points and puting the start and stop points directly on main roads. It seems not to recognize the Japan road data as routable.

Thank you for any help!
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Canada

Re: Creating Japan route in Tread app?

Post by technoguppy »

I can't tell if it's me or the Tread App but I cannot create a route between two points in Japan in the Tread App.

I am near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I "went" to the UK and was able to create a route in the Tread App there.

You may have found a problem with the Tread App while using it in Japan.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
JapanBob
Japan

Post by JapanBob »

Thank you for checking. After a rather uncomfortable phone call with Garmin Japan support today, I confirmed that the Tread app does not support routing in Japan. With BaseCamp officially unsupported, there is no supported method of route creation on the XT2 in Japan except using the device itself, despite the fact that the unit is sold officially here. That is a terrible business practice and is beyond ridiculous.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I would still try using Basecamp. "Not Supported" does not necessarily mean "cannot be done" or "will not work". It just means Garmin will not help if you have a question. Garmin stopped work on Basecamp about seven years ago, so they are not interested in ensuring compatibility with newer devices.
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

For reference only.

I tried to create a route in Japan using "Global Maps" via BaseCamp 4.7.5 (2023). No joy.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

You cannot create a route anywhere in the world using the Global Map. It is just a background image to keep you oriented when you look at an area beyond the limits of your routable map(s).

Try connecting your Tread to your computer via USB. Once Basecamp recognizes it, use the Maps menu to see if Basecamp will recognize the map installed on the XT. If that works, you may be able to use Garmin Express to install the map on your computer, which will speed up panning, zooming, and searches.