Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Shaping points converting to way points

Post by Peobody »

@jfheath , how do you use the backups?
AFAIK,...
The purpose of the backup is to recover from a corrupted database.
It is only useful to Basecamp.
You can't selectively open routes that it contains.
A restore replaces the active database with the selected backup.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm @jfheath , how do you use the backups?
AFAIK,...
The purpose of the backup is to recover from a corrupted database.
It is only useful to Basecamp.
You can't selectively open routes that it contains.
A restore replaces the active database with the selected backup.
Yes. If you take a backup, say every week, it gives you a file on your hard drive that you can use to recover the database at the time that it was when you backed it up.

Suppose for example that you wanted to see what my database structure and routes looked like. This is how that could be achieved:

I load the database that you want to view into Basecamp (I have about 20 I think)
I create a backup of the database in question.
I create a backup of the current database and save it to a file called JFHBackup.
I send you the file.

Now its your turn.
You do the same - create a backup of your own database.
You put my JFHBackup file on your computer and in Basecamp you restore the database, but you choose mine.
This wipes out your database and replaces it with mine.

When you want your own back, you simply restore the database and select yours backup file.

There is an alternative to that. You can create a brand new, empty database, without deleting your own. This requires using the option in Edit->Options>General. There is a drop down dialogue box that allows you to select the database that you want to use, or to create a new one. If you create a new empty one, then you can select that and restore your backup database to the new empty database.

I don't want to get too technical here. Just wanted to point out the possibility.

I'm happy to take this further in a different thread - unless @oldwobbler wants to know as well - in which case it can continue here. @Peobody - I reckon that you have my pdf of Zumo 590 and Basecamp ? If not, it can be downloaded from the top link of the Zumo 590 section of this forum. P25 is to do with Databases, although I didn't use the backup / restore method. Instead I shifted its location on the hard disk, and then told Basecamp where it was.

Happy to play at sharing a database with you if you want to experiment.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:46 pm I'm happy to take this further in a different thread
I will start a new thread in the Basecamp forum. In-depth discussion of backups and alternate databases gets way off-topic for this one.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
oldwobbler
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by oldwobbler »

@jfheath
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I need to start using BC the way it's intended rather than following how I used it in MS.
A new thread for back up/restore is probably the best way forward., as this thread has answered the original questions.