XT is convinced an open road is closed

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

XT is convinced an open road is closed

Post by danham »

This strikes me as a problem caused by the traffic reporting service that the XT "subscribes" to, but thought I'd share.

Last night we asked the XT to route us home from a restaurant during torrential rain. It certainly would be possible for various roads here on Cape Cod to be closed due to temporary flooding, so I had the XT display the traffic info on the right side of the screen even though I know my way. We had not gone a mile before the XT announced that Route 6 (the highway we would normally take to get home) was closed and therefore the XT chose a detour that was complicated and in my opinion not the best way around the closure.

I was skeptical that 6 was actually closed because unless there was an accident, the back roads would be more susceptible to flooding. So we ignored the GPS and headed for the highway. Sure enough, the on-ramp was open and we got on 6. After a few miles, the XT again warned that 6 was closed 2 miles ahead. After 2 miles, the warning disappeared and did not return.

If we were in an area unknown to us, the XT would have sent us on a wild goose chase.

-dan
Last edited by danham on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: XT is convinced an open road is closed

Post by rbentnail »

For me this is a common thing as well as routing across closed railroad tracks and doing anything possible to avoid a small town's downtown area. I don't know why it does these but I'll often disconnect the Bluetooth and take my chances without re-rerouting. 98% of the time I'm right, and the times I'm wrong will show on Google maps on my phone.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Good point about Google maps. My wife checked Route 6 on her phone and it was green all the way.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have experienced a number of inaccurate road closure detections too, one which resulted in a recalculation that included a number of direct points that could only have been followed by helicopter. For most of the others the resulting recalculation is rarely the most efficient way to get around the closure, if it actually is closed. Google maps is a valuable tool when you have cell reception. Thankfully, where I didn't (somewhere in Nebraska), the traffic coming from the other direction on the supposed closed road was a clue to ignore the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.