Discussion about backups and alternate databases

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Discussion about backups and alternate databases

Post by Peobody »

@bicyclenut , regarding that image and the cluttered map, I found a trick that resolves that for me. I created an empty list folder named "_Blank Map Display". It sorts to the top of My Collection and displays an empty map. Selecting that list folder before closing Basecamp results in Basecamp opening with a blank map on next startup.
pasted.png
pasted.png (741.33 KiB) Viewed 442 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Discussion about backups and alternate databases

Post by jfheath »

Re: backups and different databases
  • I never use the backup database facility. I found out how to use it and checked it out, but I have never used it since. I backup the the disk drive instead.
  • I do keep many different databases. Mainly so that the folders and lists don't become too full. Typically I will have one datbase that has my routes for one year. eg I have one at the moment called 2024 Routes. It has 3 list folders in it. April, June, September. 2 of them are currently empty. The June one has 5 lists in it for the planned rides from one location to another, with potential stopping places. The April one, I haven't started yet oddly.
  • If I want a route from another database, I simply switch to the other database, find the route and export it as a GPX. Then switch back to the current year's databse and import it into a new folder. Then extract what I want form it. The GPX files don't retain the folder and lists for Basecamp.
  • I also keep a separate database for forum issues and for testing purposes. This is so that I can place the same route that I used before onto the Zumo to see what happens in different circumstances.
  • The planned routes are a useful archive of what we planned to do. The track logs I keep as an historical record of where we have been. These are maintained in a program called MemoryMaps for which I use UK Ordnance Survey maps.
  • I don't keep a library of waypoints in the database.
  • I have started using more saved waypoints in my route - purely so that the name is retained in the XT. But I create them as I need them.
  • At one time I used to collect gpx files from motorcycle magazine websites for different parts of the country. I never used them, but I still have a database.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.