Mac M3 and Basecamp 4.8.13 won't see devices

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
oldnorton
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Mac M3 and Basecamp 4.8.13 won't see devices

Post by oldnorton »

Hi

I have been using Basecamp for a few years with a Sumo 345, a BMW Nav VI and a Garmin camper 760 and an old iMac.

I have just upgraded my Mac to a new Apple M3 running the latest IOS Sonoma 14.2.1. Garmin Express and the Apple Finder will happily see the Garmin devices, and load updates, but Basecamp sees no device. I have upgraded Basecamp from v4.8.11 to v4.8.13, and it reports that version, but still no luck.

This has got to be Basecamp not liking the latest IOS and new chip, but all the mapping works as previously. I can find no fixes on an internet search so post this here case anyone else is having success with a Mac M3.

Norm
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Mac M3 and Basecamp 4.8.13 won't see devices

Post by lkraus »

I'm not sure if this is still a problem, but some recent Macs will only allow one program to have access to a Garmin at a time. Try killing the background Express process, or go into the Express preferences and de-select "Launch on startup", "keep running in background", and reboot.
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by oldnorton »

Thank you for that, but I have found the answer and I will post it here. I can run Express together with Basecamp now.

Some internet postings have referred to privacy settings, but without explaining what this means. I found that you have to go to the Apple Logo (top left)/System settings/Privacy & Security/FIles & Folders/ then you will see the Garmin Basecamp and Express app logos and click in there to give them permission to access external devices. Express already had the permission, but Basecamp was set not to. A simple slide of button!

Basecamp is running faster in the new Mac.

Norm.
don71uk
Great Britain

Post by don71uk »

sorry for highjacking this thread, but I have a similar problem with Basecamp & Garmin Express and a MAC (late 2015).

The mac has Monterey 12.7.3 running

Basecamp is 4.8.13
Garmin Express is 7.20.0.0

When the Zumo 660 is connected to the mac both the 660 and SD card are shown on the desktop, and both are show as folders in Finder.

When loading Garmin Express, GE does not find the 660.

When loading Basecamp, Basecamp finds the SD card but not the 660. I can transfer routes/waypoints to/from the SD card via basecamp.

I have checked the solution above in allowing access to external folders and both have permission.

I deleted the 660 from Express, but now can't reconnect.

help please,

Don.
don71uk
Great Britain

Post by don71uk »

Just a quick update, connected 660 to Mac today, and guess what, both express and basecamp can find the zumo.