Uploading OSM maps onto Zumo 660

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Breconbuff
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Uploading OSM maps onto Zumo 660

Post by Breconbuff »

PLease help! I've been trying for days. I'm a real novice at all this...

I have a 660LM which I have owned for many years and use primarily with the official Garmin maps. I have worked out how to update using GarminExpress and all is fine with the offical maps. The thing is I am due to go to Morocco next month and am trying to get an OSM map of the country onto the Zumo. I had one on it about 8 years ago so I know that it should work...

I have an 8GB SD card in the zumo.

I reqested a map from BBBike using the PLanet OSM system and downloaded it onto my C Drive and then onto the SD card. it showed up as a gmapsupp.img file on both drives.

I just assumed that once it was on the SD card it should just work in the Zumo but no such luck. I then learnt about Basecamp and tried using that to get it to transfer but it doesn't recognise it. I tried MapSource but the same thing.

What is wrong? Is it the .img format that is wrong? |I read somewhere that Basecamp doesn't recognise .img files? Do I even need Basecamp?

I'm so sick of it all now I feel like throwing the thing at the wall!! I guess I just want reassurance that i am going down the right route and not making a glaring error. Or to know that it is no longer possible to use OSM maps on the older Zumo's, in which case I can stop wasing my time here.

Thanks for reading
:?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Uploading OSM maps onto Zumo 660

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp reads .img files from your device, but both for it and the device it must be in the correct folder.

For a Zumo 660 it should be in the Garmin folder, either on your device or on the SD Card.
Breconbuff
Great Britain

Post by Breconbuff »

Thank you very much for replying and at least I have the assurance now that img files will work. I'll have another go now, noting what you say about the need for Garmin folders.
Fingers crossed.... !
Breconbuff
Great Britain

Post by Breconbuff »

:( I'm getting nowhere.
I've got a Garmin named folder on my C drive with the unzipped files in it, including the gmapsupp.img one that is 321,000KB, so presumably has the necessary data in it.

I've clicked and dragged that into a Garmin named folder in my F drive ( sd card)

I then opened Basecamp.

Clicked "manage your device"

Clicked Maps - Install maps - Find Device - it then says " No unlocked maps were found for this device" What does this mean??? I can go no further.

I may be doing this totally wrong. I don't want to plot a route or anything, I just want to see the map on the Zumo. I know the info is on the Laptop but whenever I go onto the Zumo and press "Change Country" Morocco is not there.

Any ideas?
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I have several maps stored on my XT. To change the map, I have to go to Settings>Map & Vehicle>myMaps and check the boxes for the map(s) which will be active. Google tells me that the equivalent 660 menu might be Settings>Map>Map info. I think "change country" might actually change language and measurement units.

EDIT: The 660 menu might actually be at Tools>Settings>Map>Map info. I found instructions at https://www.openmapchest.org/instructions/.

OpenMapChest also has very good OSM maps if you want to try another version. Different sources seem to offer different color schemes and degrees of detail, so I usually try a few variations.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Breconbuff wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:46 pm I then opened Basecamp.

Clicked Maps - Install maps - Find Device - it then says " No unlocked maps were found for this device" What does this mean??? I can go no further.
I do not have any experience with what you are attempting to do but I am wondering whether the Basecamp step is required. Might it be enough to just copy the .img file into the \Garmin directory on the SD card?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Breconbuff wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:46 pm :( I'm getting nowhere.
I've got a Garmin named folder on my C drive with the unzipped files in it, including the gmapsupp.img one that is 321,000KB, so presumably has the necessary data in it.

I've clicked and dragged that into a Garmin named folder in my F drive ( sd card)

I then opened Basecamp.

I may be doing this totally wrong. I don't want to plot a route or anything, I just want to see the map on the Zumo. I know the info is on the Laptop but whenever I go onto the Zumo and press "Change Country" Morocco is not there.

Any ideas?
If you dragged the Garmin folder from your C drive into the Garmin folder on your SD card as you say that is the problem. You need to have the .img file in the Garmin folder on the card, not in a Garmin folder inside a Garmin folder. It's pointless looking in BaseCamp until you've installed the map correctly on your device.