Zumo XT Proximity alerts

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mikem
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Zumo XT Proximity alerts

Post by Mikem »

I have had my Zumo for 2 years, but last week the speed camera alerts disappeared. The only proximity alerts now showing are red light camera warnings. I have connected to Garmin Express and re-loaded the speed camera alerts, but they are still not showing on the Zumo, and still no option to tick the speed camera alerts box.
Can anybody offer any advice please?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT Proximity alerts

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums @Mikem

Just going through the things to check.

1. Settings -> Driver Assistance -> Speeding Alert -> Then options for Inside City and Outside City.
2. Settings -> Driver Assistance -> Proximity Alerts -> Then options for audio (single tone / continuous /off) and Alerts (Garmin Red Light Cameras) are the only ones that I have listed.
3. Settings -> Map & Vehicle -> myMaps -> Check that you haven't got 2 maps ticked that cover the same area - eg I have some old OSM maps (not supplied by Garmin) that cover the whole of the Uk. If I have that ticked as well as the CN Europe NTU All North - then all sorst of weird things will happen.
4. Check your volume settings - there is a master volume control and a mixer volume control. Make sure that you haven't turned down the one that issues sound warnings. (I saw a red speed camera yesterday when I was out. It was on the screen, but no sound. That is because I find the pinging irritating, so I choose not to be alerted. What may be of more relevance is the information that in the UK they are starting to introduce stealth camera vans. No warnings, no signs. That info would render any warnings on your satnav useless. North Yorkshire for example, do not have speed cameras. They have vans that move around very frequently.)

I don't know where you are located - so it is difficult to be precise. I think the warning symbol on the map when a speed camera is looming - I think that is part of the map data. They update that info regularly - Garmin Cyclopse - there's one available for update just now, I notice. Maybe there has been an issue with some maps ?

If you click on your name in the top right hand corner of the banner, it opens a page that says 'Viewing Profile'.
If you click 'Edit Profile', alongside your name at the top of the new page, then you can make some changes - one of which is to type in a location, and another is to choose a flag.

This information is then displayed with every post, and it may help us to answer - in this case, if I know you are in the UK, someone might know if there has been an issue with recent map updates for Europe and/or whether any issues have been fixed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mikem
Great Britain

Post by Mikem »

Hello JFH,
Thanks for your reply and help.
I think I have resolved the issue. The camera databases were present on the XT, but for some reason warnings were not being given whilst travelling.
Following some assistance & advice from Garmin, I removed all of the camera databases from the XT and re-loaded them.
Following that, I ran a route simulation on the XT and it did display the speed cameras that I know are present on this section of road.
So, hopefully all sorted now, although I won't know for definate until I go out on the bike.
I still have no idea why the problem suddenly manifested itself though.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the update @Mikem Glad you were able to get it sorted out.

Can you remember which were the camera database files that you deleted on the XT - or is it obvious ?
Having that information might save other people a lot of time and headache.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mikem
Great Britain

Post by Mikem »

Yes, it was fairly obvious and there is an article on the Garmin Support centre entitled "Red Light and Speed Camera Alerts Not Appearing on an Automotive Device" which helps to explain better than I can :D