Mount with USB?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
craig.wagner
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Mount with USB?

Post by craig.wagner »

I just bought a new bike (2024 Tracer 9 GT+). It doesn't have a cigarette or Powerlet socket on it, but it does have a USB port. The problem is, the mount that comes with the XT2 has two bare wires, which I've always assumed were intended to be either hard-wired to the bike or have a cigarette or Powerlet plug attached.

Does anyone know if there's a way to attach a USB plug? Failing that, is there a version of the mount that's already wired for USB? Garmin's web site doesn't show anything and my searching has been less than successful.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Mount with USB?

Post by rbentnail »

From what I've read, the XT and XT2 power corded mounts, the ones you describe with only 2 leads, have their own embedded 12 volt to 5 volt converter so plugging that into a usb port isn't going to work. The XT has a usb port on it, I use it all the time to plug into my laptop and into a usb charger when needed. The XT2 has this same thing, yes? Didn't the XT2 come with a charging/communication cord? Have you tried plugging into the bike's usb power supply (not a computer!) and seeing what happens?

I feel a caution is in order- the device usb port isn't very durable. I've heard of at least 1 XT port being damaged. Also, you need to make sure, see if you can find out, if the bike's usb is 2 amps or more. If not, you'll likely just slowly drain the XT2 battery with use. The lower capacity usb chargers can't keep up. IMHO you're better off just wiring the XT2 factory mount to your bike's battery and using it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Personally I 'd find another way to connect the stock XT wiring to switched power. USB connectors of any type do not hold up well to vibration and are not weather resistant. Save the USB for occasional phone charging.

That said, it is possible to cut the converter module off and splice a male USB A connector onto the wire. Be sure your USB port can supply at least 2 amps at 5 volts.
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

In case anyone is interested, I decided to plug into one of the unused power connectors under the left side fairing.