how to play MP3 music from SD card

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

how to play MP3 music from SD card

Post by twowheelstom »

I installed a 32GB sd card in my XT and created a folder called MP3 Music with other artist folders in that and .mp3 files in those. How do I play the mp3 music from the XT music player? I tried using the playing when XT on battery power but there's no music source files showing.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: how to play MP3 music from SD card

Post by Peobody »

You say your folder is named"MP3 Music"? If so, it must just be "MP3".

If that isn't it, do any options show when you tap Source in the music player (lower left)? My shows "zumo XT" and my phone as the options. Surprisingly, there is no indication that the music is on the card.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Fixed, the problem was there were 2 Folders called MP3, 1 in internal XT memory and 1 on the SD card, when I deleted the MP3 folder from XT internal memory, the XT music recognized the one on the card and it's now playing on battery power. yahoo 8-)
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

correction, you were right, I named the folder on the SD card MP3 Music, I renamed it to just MP3 on the card, maybe doing that fixed it. thanks for your help for an XT newbie like me, and I have lots to learn lol
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'll bet that if you had .mp3 files in both places it would see them all, similar to how it sees routes in .gpx files in the GPX folder in both places as available for import.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

also, started up Garmin Express and downloaded the American-English voices file from Express Tools section to the XT, then on the XT selected the American-Samantha voice, much better now for navigation. also the Ugreen bluetooth adapter is paired to the XT and I'm using wired earbuds from the adapter listening to music, this is getting better and better lol, haven't attempted to open the bike wiring harness bag yet, that should be the fun part wiring it on my bike lol
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:15 pm I'll bet that if you had .mp3 files in both places it would see them all
ya that makes sense, then I didn't need to delete that MP3 folder in internal memory lol, the fix was renaming the folder from MP3 Music to just MP3 on the card.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes it finds any .mp3 files in the MP3 folder in internal storeage AND the SD card.

Furthermore you can create subfolders and subfolders within subfolders. So you can have mp3/artist name/cd name. if you want. It makes it easier to keep track of files.

But the folder structure and names that you choose have nothing to do with the way that the XT MP3 player organises tracks. The player uses the mp3 tags that are encoded with the mp3 file. It reads all of the files and organises them for itself. So if you happen to have the same CD album placed on the SD card and in internal storage, it will find all of the tracks and when you play the album, it will play all of the tracks in the correct order, but each track will be played twice, one immediately following the other.

You can edit the tags in programs such as Windows Media Player if you need to.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.