Base camp as default .gpx app and others

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Base camp as default .gpx app and others

Post by sussamb »

Really? You don't get a list that starts with Open right down to the end with Properties? That's standard on all Windows systems as far as I'm aware and pops up anytime you right click any file.

What version of Win10 are you running? Is your mouse set for left handed use? What happens if you right click other files, e.g. Word files?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:43 am Really? You don't get a list that starts with Open right down to the end with Properties? That's standard on all Windows systems as far as I'm aware and pops up anytime you right click any file.
Really! What you see is what I get, apparently it does NOT "pop up anytime you right click any file."
sussamb wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:43 am What version of Win10 are you running? Is your mouse set for left handed use? What happens if you right click other files, e.g. Word files?
Windows 10 Home Ver. 1803, Standard right hand mouse/touchpad use. On other files (pdf, rtf, etc.) I do get that menu you are describing, but not for gpx files.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

rbentnail, Have you tried picking "search through windows". I get the same as advnzer when I right click on a gpx file.

I did a Google search on File association Helper and found this: https://windowsreport.com/file-association-helper-pc/
Attachments
gpx file.JPG
gpx file.JPG (24.03 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Nice spot. Personally I'd remove that File Association Helper app :)
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Wingstyle wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm rbentnail, Have you tried picking "search through windows". I get the same as advnzer when I right click on a gpx file.

I did a Google search on File association Helper and found this: https://windowsreport.com/file-association-helper-pc/
I have tried picking "Search Through Windows". The computer then says there are no Windows apps available to open said file.

What in the world does File Association Helper have to do with not being able to open a file that my computer doesn't know it has?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you remove it you'll find out and be able to tell us, as that seems to be the issue here. We can all associate gpx files with BaseCamp, you can't.
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

If you look at the link I provided in my earlier post, you will see that File Association Helper is a free software developed by WinZip Computing. You, or someone else, must have installed it on your computer and it is taking precedence over Windows. Googling it may help you figure out how to use it if you prefer not to uninstall it.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 pm
Wingstyle wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm rbentnail, Have you tried picking "search through windows". I get the same as advnzer when I right click on a gpx file.

I have tried picking "Search Through Windows". The computer then says there are no Windows apps available to open said file.

What in the world does File Association Helper have to do with not being able to open a file that my computer doesn't know it has?
maybe you could try ticking the box for do not show this window for gpx files and then see if you let windows do its own thing you could see if you could associate a gpx file with basecamp.?
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

advnzer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 am maybe you could try ticking the box for do not show this window for gpx files and then see if you let windows do its own thing you could see if you could associate a gpx file with basecamp.?
^^ This ^^. I ticked the box to see what happens. Right click/open with -> immediately went to "search the web" mode without asking. Closed that tab & right click/open with again. This time I'm given a choice of what app to use and can now select Base Camp although it does nothing more than what I stated I did manually in post #3: it opens Base amp, imports the file and opens it. Simpler, with fewer keystrokes, but really no difference from what I already did.

Also, gpx files still do not show up i my list of files to choose Base Camp as a default app.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 pm This time I'm given a choice of what app to use and can now select Base Camp although it does nothing more than what I stated I did manually in post #3: it opens Base amp, imports the file and opens it. Simpler, with fewer keystrokes, but really no difference from what I already did.
I'm not sure what else you were expecting. It's no different to if you click on a word file. Word opens, loads the file and opens it.

Were you hoping for something different?

Personally I'd still delete File Association Helper, as it doesn't seem to help at all!