Zumo 390LM ‘On/Off button disintegrated!

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Triops
Great Britain

Zumo 390LM ‘On/Off button disintegrated!

Post by Triops »

It just fell out leaving an oval hole on top of the satnav.

Anyone know if you can get a new button with its rod to press the switch deep in the case? No think it will just slide in.

Thanks
Triops
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 390LM ‘On/Off button disintegrated!

Post by Triops »

In fact looking at good ones I think it’s part of the whole moulded top strip. Can’t photo it as I can’t see how to upload.
Enzo74
Australia

Post by Enzo74 »

Hi good day ... some problem here... how did you handle it
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Google search found a few Ebay sites selling replacements, I think they aftermarket, not from Garmin. Some look like the entire top strip, some only half? About $20-30.
Triops wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:42 pm Can’t photo it as I can’t see how to upload.
Use "Attachments" to add a file to your message. Usually, for a picture file, you'll want to select the box to "Place Inline".
attach.jpg
attach.jpg (15.83 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Great Britain

Post by Triops »

I effected a repair. Since I had the “deep button” which fell out. I put some clear silicone in the hole and managed to insert the button and let it set. I finished off by smoothing silicone over the top to leave a thin skin. I used my over finger and water. Works well the silicone wears off the very top of the button. This is caused by a sort of rubber rot of the whole case which whilst looking fine has lost its resistance qualities and marks easily. Anyway it’s given it more life. Hope that helps.
cachs005
Malta

Post by cachs005 »

I have both 390 and 396 and both power on buttons from them fell off/disintegrated. While i use only the 390 for programming my routes and as backup, to turn it on i taped together 4 matchsticks (or lately they are held together by a shrinking sleeve) and power it on with this improvised "device" as for the 396 the hole is not deep enough and can be reached with my finger. However since i use it on the bike mount it's not longer exactly waterproof so i just put some insulated (electrical) tape over the hole to waterproof it. for now it worked :)
Triops
Great Britain

Post by Triops »

I was lucky and found my button on the road before riding off.