Installing OpenTopoMaps on Mac

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Installing OpenTopoMaps on Mac

Post by Grabcon »

I am trying to install Garmin OpenTopoMaps on my MacBook Pro. I just want to be able to use the Topo maps with basecamp, not on any device. How is this done? I can't find anything that describes or shows this process of installing on a Mac.

Anybody have thoughts on how to do this?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Installing OpenTopoMaps on Mac

Post by sussamb »

Afraid you can't AFAIK. What you can do is copy them from your device to a removeable drive, either virtual or physical, and use that instead of your device. See here for more info

https://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

The issue may be your Mac version as JaVaWa Utilities haven't been updated recently as the guy who runs it has been quite ill.
Grabcon
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Thanks I will look into that.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Grabcon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:27 pm I am trying to install Garmin OpenTopoMaps on my MacBook Pro. I just want to be able to use the Topo maps with basecamp, not on any device. How is this done? I can't find anything that describes or shows this process of installing on a Mac.

Anybody have thoughts on how to do this?
This may not help, but I am running Garmin Topo East on my iMac in Basecamp. Mac OS 13.6.4 and latest BC. However, that topo is a very old map, likely converted from a PC version on CD. If you have it as a gmap file, you could try putting it into ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Grabcon
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Thanks for the input but I think I need to head a different path. I am not trying to use BC for route I want to make a printed map that covers the 6000 mile trip that my wife and I are in the midst of planning. All routes, lodging/camping, gas, etc. are in set in the routes. I have found some other software called MapBox Studio may better serve my needs. I will give that a try in the next few days. It will also allow for the import of GPX files and overlay on there maps. It looks like very interesting software for things like this.

Here is a link to a beginner tutorial if anyone is interested.