how to use Garmin Tread on a PC

Got an How To Guide you want to share? Please use this section.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: how to use Garmin Tread on a PC

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:43 pm I too have heard that the XT2 will work with BaseCamp. We know that a gpx file created in BaseCamp can be emailed to a phone, shared to the Tread app, and then transferred to the XT2 so that is a worst cast workaround. What I am wondering though is whether the 'Install map to PC' functionality exists with the XT2 and Garmin Express.
Using the XT2 map via USB apparently does work, and possibly so does installing to the computer.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... t-47690981
I'm not entirely certain the poster is using download to mean install.
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by arwV8 »

Garmin express will allow the map to be installed on the pc while the USB connected Zumo XT2. Only the main map though (city navigator), not any of the others, 'adventure', or the 'topo'. However once Basecamp has read the Zumo xt2 one can open the other maps and see them on the big screen. I was also able to move track logs from Zumo xt2 to basecamp and back them up. All the tracks were visible - this is great, I am pleased.
Looks like a lot of things work as with other navigators. Alot more testing needed to find out any quirks/anomalies wrt to the use with basecamp. This post should probably continue on the Zumo XT2 Basecamp related thread. Thanks to all those who responded.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

This is good new. I was hearing that the XT2 was not compatible with BaseCamp. I suspected that would be a deal breaker for many.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I don't have an XT2, but from what I am hearing about Garmin saying the "XT2 not compatible with basecamp" almost sounds like when Garmin said that the old 550 was not compatible with SD cards larger than 4Gb.... most all know that was not the case.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm This is good new. I was hearing that the XT2 was not compatible with BaseCamp. I suspected that would be a deal breaker for many.
I would have no interest in a Garmin satnav the didn't work with Mapsource or BaseCamp.

Trying to create multiple routes on smart phone? No thanks.
Meienberg
Been liked: 1 time
Switzerland

Post by Meienberg »

Ich war und bin noch ein eifriger Benutzer von BaseCamp. Vorher noch Map Source. Hatten uns damals schon geärgert wegen der Änderung!
Mit der Tread App ist es auf dem Handy eine Spielerei ohne Ziel...
Meine Lösung mit dem XT2 geht so:
Ich mache eine Route wie üblich im BaseCamp und speichere diese aber im BC direkt als Track, sende den Track direkt im BC oder indirekt über Export an die Speicherkarte. Dieser Track wird beim einschalten des XT2 erkannt und kann importiert werden.
Danach den Track anklicken und diesen dann mit dem Schlüsselsymbol oben links ... Pfeil nach unten, in Route umwandeln und fertig. Dann kann noch die Richtung angegeben werden.
Jetzt kann die Route gestartet werden.
Ist ein kleiner Umweg, aber klappt einwandfrei! Habe auch meine Kollegen davon überzeugen können dass das geht!

Meienberg

I was and still am an avid user of BaseCamp. Before that, Map Source. We were already annoyed at the time about the change!
With the Tread app on your cell phone it's a game with no goal...
My solution with the XT2 goes like this:
I make a route as usual in BaseCamp and save it directly in the BC as a track, send the track directly in the BC or indirectly via export to the memory card. This track is recognized when the XT2 is switched on and can be imported.
Then click on the track and then use the key symbol at the top left... arrow down, convert it to route and you're done. Then the direction can be specified.
The route can now be started.
It's a small detour, but it works perfectly! I was also able to convince my colleagues that this was possible!

Meienberg
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

@Meienberg, why do you transfer a track and then convert it to a route using the XT2. Are you not able to export a route from BaseCamp as a .gpx file, transfer it to the XT2 internal storage or SD card, and then import it?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
John Jeffery
Canada

Post by John Jeffery »

Have a look at EZMOTOTIM on YouTube, he has a very short video about using Basecamp with an XT2.
I haven’t tried it yet as my XT2 hasn’t arrived, but will certainly give it a whirl when it does.🤞
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
2024 Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition
2019 Beta 390RRS
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MotoTomCC
United States of America

Post by MotoTomCC »

For what it's worth, I've also had oodles and oodles of headaches trying to do route planning for my Zumo XT2. The most recent Tread app update (2.08.29) appears to work better. I've been able to successfully, and easily, create routes on an iPad using an Apple Pencil. It works quite well, I can zoom in & out and with the Pencil can locate shaping points quite accurately. I know this isn't the same as a 24" monitor, but it's pretty decent.