I am venting about a dead XT, again.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: I am venting about a dead XT, again.

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:23 am could the problem be that the XT battery has no more petrol in the tank to fire back up again?
That is the way it acts but there has never been an indication of low battery nor has it ever acted like it lost power while riding. I remain at a loss about what has caused it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:21 pm I don't/won't leave the XT in the cradle when I am away from the bike. Theft is a concern but I often bring it in to whatever facility I have stopped at, maybe looking to see how close the route goes to a place learned about during the ride, or maybe to review the remainder of the route. Eventually I will put it down and it will go to sleep before I return to the bike.

Bottom line, it is designed to resume on wake. It's rare that it doesn't, but frustrating as well.
Last summer I purchased a Motopumps lock for my XT simply b/c I found it to be a PITA removing and restarting it all the time. I remove it when I reach the day's destination but for my short stops I just leave it. I also find I'm stressing myself out by "reviewing the remainder of the ride" and the like. I trust my routing abilities and there's no use fretting about it. If I feel the need to add a stop or whatever I'll do it when I return.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I have an idea what causes it, when bike running ,, the XT in the cradle is only drawing about 1 amps at 5volts, at that rate the XT will only charge up the battery if left on the running motorcycle for about 10 to 12 hours, so when turning off the bike at stops, this will cease battery charging, and when XT is off the cradle and running on battery power to review routes, the XT battery will use up it's supply of petrol, then when putting the XT back in the cradle again, the XT battery might have gone too low to fire up again. I doubt there's anything wrong with the XT, it just runs out of battery juice. That's my uneducated guess.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 am In the hidden system menu, there is a facility for monitoring the power input and battery status in real time.
I cant get to my XT to tell you exactly where it is or what the values should be, but I can post this later.

The hidden system menu ?
Main screen, view map. Tap the speed button, bottom left ( in landscape view)
Then long press the circular speedo - 10 secs.
Be careful in there Don't go changing things that you don't understand !!!
Does this give different info to the pressing the battery icon for about 10 seconds?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:17 am
Does this give different info to the pressing the battery icon for about 10 seconds?
No ! I was wrong - you are right. Long press the battery to get the status.

I was working from memory. I keep forgetting that since Covid .....

Thanks for providing the correct answer. I'll get some screen images as promised.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:25 pm My dead XT instances have occurred when the XT was removed from the cradle and allowed to go to sleep for less than on hour during a stop. It just wouldn't wake up when I was ready to resume the ride.
That just shouldn't happen. It doesn't on mine. Mine is powered from a switched source, removed for at least an hour at a lunch stop, and resumes following the route when I set off again. Messing around with switched/unswitched or powering down/not powering down is, IMHO, hardly likely to cure your fault.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Screen shots of my Zumo XT - Power Status screen

I haven't got much of a clue about what this will tell you, but you might spot a difference.
I came back to my desk nearly 4 hours later to find the XT still on, still showing the battery status screen. No external power source.
So I've added that photos as # 1a. It wasn't doing a great deal, but the backlight had been on all the time, and it reports battery level at 85% !!
That was a suprise.

I noticed that the photos are not consistent - Full Tests On vs Full Tests Off. Toggling that apperaed to make no difference to the displayed values.

1. Powered from Internal Battery Fully Charged

XT Battery 115242.jpg
XT Battery 115242.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

1a. Powered from Internal Battery nearly 4 hours later

XT Battery 4hrs later 153005.jpg
XT Battery 4hrs later 153005.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

2. Powered from Wall Socket USB outlet to USB connector

XT Wall Charger 115329.jpg
XT Wall Charger 115329.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

3. Powered from 12v to Harness and M/Bike Cradle

XT 12v Bike Cradle 115512.jpg
XT 12v Bike Cradle 115512.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:20 am That just shouldn't happen. It doesn't on mine. Mine is powered from a switched source, removed for at least an hour at a lunch stop, and resumes following the route when I set off again. Messing around with switched/unswitched or powering down/not powering down is, IMHO, hardly likely to cure your fault.
That is my thinking. The two faults have been an abnormality to normal behaviour.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

IMHO, I still think it's a low battery condition that's causing the issue.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)