64gb sd card formatting

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Re: 64gb sd card formatting

Post by twowheelstom »

ok let me see if i have this right, if I format the 64gb card to FAT32, and it's in the zumo when doing new Garmin Map updates, and Express wants to put the new map file on this 64gb card, and there's already previous older garmin map files from before that still remain on the card, and being the 64 card has lots of FAT32 room on it, does this mean I can keep as many older garmin maps files on the 64 as i want without removing them? if yes then i assume it means that I would probably never have to manually go into the sd card to remove any older map files to make room for new ones. correct?
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Express removes old maps while installing new ones. I've never seen it offer the option to keep old maps on the GPS. This is possibly to prevent having two routable maps active for the same area, which causes various errors, including lack of verbal directions, no displayed distance to next turn, etc.

I've never found a need to keep old maps. It's unlikely the old roads will suddenly reappear.

Updating maps really is not complex or difficult, just try it. With 16gb of internal memory, the 396 probably does not require a SD card for all of North America maps. I don't see any mention in other 396 threads about needing more space. If you then find you need or want more storage for music, reformat your card and put it in.
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:52 pm ok let me see if i have this right, "…………..it, does this mean I can keep as many older garmin maps files on the 64 as i want without removing them?
No. On the GPS the map files have specific file names, and the update will replace one map with the new one. The map files on your computer have the map version as part of the names so you can keep more than one map version on your computer. This is for Garmin maps. No idea what third party maps, like OSM do with their files.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It isn't as simple as that. If you use Express to install an update to your device and then leave the files of that update alone Express will replace them when it next does an update. If however for whatever reason you rename them or move them then Express won't touch them.