Power cord contact failure

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Power cord contact failure

Post by lather »

During a 2700 mile trip my Zumo 390 stopped making electrical connection. On examination of the power cable contacts one of the gold dots has been worn down. I suspect that this is due to a less than snug fit in the cradle and the vibration in my Motorcycle's handle bars. I have the same mounts on 2 other bikes and this has not happenned but these two bike have less vibration in the bars. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have suggestions on how to isolate the cradle from vibration. I am going to replace the mount but with some foam rubber between the Garmen cradle and the Ram mount unless anyone has a better idea. Sorry about the ppor picture.
Attachments
ZumoCord.jpg
ZumoCord.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Power cord contact failure

Post by jfheath »

Did you get this sorted ? The contacts are sprung... it may be that some electrical cleaner or solvent and a little agitation may solve it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

I am sorry for the late reply. I was on a 6000 mile trip and not checking the forum.

I replaced the electrical harness with a new one. I shimmed the crade with some electrical tape to make a tighter fit. I had no problems during the 6000 mile 18 day trip so I believe all is well.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

If the problem it with the 2 sprung cable power pins getting stuck in its sleeve, can you use WD40 on the pins to lubricate them from getting stuck again?
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:08 pm If the problem it with the 2 sprung cable power pins getting stuck in its sleeve, can you use WD40 on the pins to lubricate them from getting stuck again?
One of the power pins on my XT cradle looked like that but would pop back out when I centered it using my fingernail, only to get stuck back in again. Contact cleaner and silicone spray didn't help. A close examination revealed that the ring within which the pin sits was split allowing the pin to tip sideways when pressured rather than sliding in and out like it should have. The cable had to be replaced.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Peobody wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:37 pm A close examination revealed that the ring within which the pin sits was split allowing the pin to tip sideways when pressured rather than sliding in and out like it should have. The cable had to be replaced.
in your opinion, is pins sliding within split rings common on xt cables? i wonder if that split ring came like that from the factory
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:48 pm in your opinion, is pins sliding within split rings common on xt cables? i wonder if that split ring came like that from the factory
I wouldn't call it a "split ring". It's a solid ring, maybe a shallow sleeve that the pins slides in, spring tensioned from the back. I'm sure it didn't come from the factory that way. I wonder if I caused the problem by wiping rain and dew off of it each morning on our last trip. I kept forgetting to put its cover in place. I was fortunate in that Garmin had redesigned the cable and I had the old design. They sent me a new design one at no charge. The pin design on the new one doesn't look any different so I'll be a lot more careful.

Edit: The sleeve/ring that I am referring to is brass looking. I don't see it the picture so the pin design on the XT cable my be different.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.