660 up dates

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Re: 660 up dates

Post by Northwestbudda »

.? What is the difference in map install and map source?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Northwestbudda wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:25 am .? What is the difference in map install and map source?
Mapsource was Garmin’s routing software before Basecamp. Mapsource also has a function that allows map sections to be uploaded and downloaded. Mapinstall is a dedicated Garmin application that loads maps from the computer into the GPS. I know for a fact that Mapinstall will allow you to load maps into the GPS internal memory and also to the GPS SD card memory. You can even split the map up between the two memory locations, as long as you don’t duplicate map sections in both. I am not sure if Mapsource will load to the SD card, unless you copy files to the SD card so it appears to be the actual GPS device.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Thank you for your reply that explain s the two systems,I have map enstall on my pc the only thing I need to work out is to safely remove the2018 maps and store them just in case the new maps don’t load properly.my thinking is I should have about 20 gig 4 in the unit and a 16 gig card yet when connected to map enstall it only shows 8gig space and the update is to big.is this because the old maps are taking up that space or does the system need free space to run? .. thanks again for your reply have a happy new year. Cheers bud…
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Hi all now having read though many older posts on this matter I do not remember ever formatting the sd card I have in my 660 it’s a sandisc 16 gb card and as for as I can tell has worked!I think the card was put in for 2015 up dates as unit said not enough space.so questions are if I remove the card and replace it with a fat32 for mat card do we think all the Western Europe maps would fit? And would the loaded 2018 maps be all on the old card or split over the card and unit memory??? Just one more thing I also wonder if Western Europe maps have more data than u/s mapping for the same year updates? Just a thought…many thanks bud…..