Formatted Garmin Zumo 550

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
BrickHead
Great Britain

Formatted Garmin Zumo 550

Post by BrickHead »

Whilst updating my maps on a SDHC card I managed to format my Zumo 550 which of course cleaned out all the files on it. :oops:
Now I cannot get it to see Garmin Express via a USB lead as there is no file on the hard drive. Do not have all the files downloaded from the Zumo when I first purchased it. Spent ages trying to chat to Garmin service centre for the missing firmware files but they just wanted me to buy a new one with their great offer of 30% of Garmin's full RRP. Having just purchased a Garmin 61 for the Mrs I do not want to throw away my bullet proof Zumo 550 having been a idiot trying to download the updates and at the same time chatting to a customer. Only the Mrs can multitask.
Is there anybody out there who knows how to put them back in the Garmin or where to locate the necessary file to get it started again for connecting up to my pc.
Blue logo flashes from copyright to just Garmin when turned on. If I put in a SD card then it will say loading maps but of course just stops with the files missing in the hard drive. Any help in getting me out of trouble gratefully received.

BrickHead
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: Formatted Garmin Zumo 550

Post by advnzer »

do you "maintain" your zumo with Basecamp?.Maybe mapsource too.,You can do backups/restore.I dont know if this is the whole system or jst map data,tracks,routes etc.
BrickHead
Great Britain

Post by BrickHead »

hi advnzer

Have a back up of updated maps on my pc but what I need is the start up files Firmware that have all been deleted when I clicked format on my pc for the SD card and at the time the Zumo 550 was connected I hit the wrong one. No connection to the USB lead now or Garmin Express?
This means the drive is completely empty and I need start up files from another 550 to put in with a SD card. Garmin of course must keep these files for the 550 in their data base but refuse to hand them out trying to force me into purchasing a new GPS unit. Having paid them recently for lifetime maps for my Zumo I do not like be forced into spending out more cash to Garmin for a new one.

BrickHead
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

When you have the zumo connected, does the computer even see it as a removable drive?
Are you using a PC, or MAC, or other.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Just tried google and came across this site:

https://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/dri ... l-numbers/

Never used them, so don't know if it'll work or not.

Have you thought about buying another 550 to clone to yours. No idea if that'll work / disable your lifetime maps!
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:12 pm
Have you thought about buying another 550 to clone to yours. No idea if that'll work / disable your lifetime maps!
If this is a possible fix (cloning) I have a 550 that you could use as a donor unit. Mine has older maps etc but if it could help, you would be welcome to borrow it. Just a thought.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Is your device seen by your PC? If so try creating a folder named Garmin on the device, and place an update file from the Perry site in it then boot your device and see if it updates/installs the software.

http://gawisp.com/perry/zumo/
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I can try and see if I can make a copy of my Zumo's base memory give you access. What I don't know is how the Unit ID is setup. But I will give it a look later today.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

BrickHead wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:21 pm Whilst updating my maps on a SDHC card I managed to format my Zumo 550 which of course cleaned out all the files on it. :oops:
Now I cannot get it to see Garmin Express via a USB lead as there is no file on the hard drive. Do not have all the files downloaded from the Zumo when I first purchased it. Spent ages trying to chat to Garmin service centre for the missing firmware files but they just wanted me to buy a new one with their great offer of 30% of Garmin's full RRP. Having just purchased a Garmin 61 for the Mrs I do not want to throw away my bullet proof Zumo 550 having been a idiot trying to download the updates and at the same time chatting to a customer. Only the Mrs can multitask.
Is there anybody out there who knows how to put them back in the Garmin or where to locate the necessary file to get it started again for connecting up to my pc.
Blue logo flashes from copyright to just Garmin when turned on. If I put in a SD card then it will say loading maps but of course just stops with the files missing in the hard drive. Any help in getting me out of trouble gratefully received.

BrickHead
Just occurred to me, may not be totally true but as I remember it, when you "fast format" (the usual default way of formatting a SD card for instance), the files are not over written but a flag is set that says that this specific area of the drive is "available". But, again as I remember it, the links between the "segments" on the drive still show in the basic data and are not over written until they are once again used to store something.

So, there appear to be recovery programs out there, don't know anything about them but they should be ok if you find one that has positive reviews, that you could use to recover the drive.

Just a thought.
BrickHead
Great Britain

Post by BrickHead »

Hi chaps back again.
Spent many hours searching around the internet for information on the Zumo 550.
Found GarminCure3 file and downloaded it on my pc. Flashed it onto the hard drive to which it came up with my ID number. Then downloaded a file called RMPrepUSB and formatted it correctly with that and not Microsoft's Format system on my pc. Suddenly the 550 came to life again and the main start up page appeared. Kept it connected and it showed USB lead talking again to it. Went to Garmin Express and downloaded all the files and map updates.
All seems to work at the moment apart from the bike/car icon on the map. All I get is the arrow in spite of going to the set up page and pressing the bike icon. Just keeps showing the arrow only? It might be old but holds it's charge for 2 1/2 hours ok and is far better built than the latest ones on sale having looked at the wife's Garmin 61 and now of course the case is extra even for the 595?

Thanks for all the input as I really did think this time it was going to be a bin job and have to fork out again for brackets, re wiring and fiddling around with the wire harness on my bike for a new one.