Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:54 am But it has to be in the gpx file somewhere - so perhaps in the subclass field that is declared with each Via Point ?
Yes, the Map segment number is in the subclass field. But it's not an easy task to decipher. To be safe, I always recalculate the route.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

What happens to the routes on the device when you do map update on the device, do they calculate on next load? I ask because the guys I ride with never seem to clean out their devices. They can pull up routes that were created and ridden many map versions ago.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I really dont know. I dont take the chance, and always recalculate before I drive the route.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:11 pm What happens to the routes on the device when you do map update on the device, do they calculate on next load? I ask because the guys I ride with never seem to clean out their devices. They can pull up routes that were created and ridden many map versions ago.

That can be a big problem if the last time they used the route was with an earlier Zumo. Zumos like the 590 would calculate a route pretty similar to the BC version. The XT will likely calculate a very different route from the same route points.

To answer the question - Yes, if the map version in the Zumo is different from the map that was used to create the routes, then the Zumo will recalculate the route on import. It often takes quite a while - or seems to. Often 10 times longer or more. Thats about a minute compared to 6 seconds for each decent days ride.

The BC route doesn't indicate which map was used, so if you update maps your routes need to be updated in BC You can do it in one operation. Select the entire BC library. Turn in the filter icon bottom of lower left pane, to show just routes. Select all of the routes listed, right click and select Recalculate routes.

Go away for half an hour.

But the best way is what Frank and I both do. Recalculate every route before you transfer them.

If we remember !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:25 pm To answer the question - Yes, if the map version in the Zumo is different from the map that was used to create the routes, then the Zumo will recalculate the route on import. It often takes quite a while - or seems to. Often 10 times longer or more. Thats about a minute compared to 6 seconds for each decent days ride.
The actual question is:
What happens when the routes are stored on the device and the map on the device gets updated, do those routes get recalculated the next time they are selected to ride? I'm thinking about how frequently a shared route ends up being different on my XT compared to my buddies Nav VI. I routinely clean out my XT, loading from BC before a ride. My buddy keeps the routes on his Nav VI. I'm certain they remain through multiple map upgrades. A recalc on load could explain why a route is different on our devices when we re-ride it several months later.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:00 am The actual question is:
What happens when the routes are stored on the device and the map on the device gets updated, do those routes get recalculated the next time they are selected to ride?
I have never actually tried to start a route after a map update of CN. (For example 2023.xx - > 2024.xx) But I do know that switching from CN to OSM and vice-versa can result in 'Can not calculate route' when you start the route. Example:

- Calculate a route in BC with CN 2024.20 active.
- Send it to the XT, making sure that CN2024.20 is the only routable map enabled in MYMAPS.
- Start it, no Problem.
- Disable the CN map in MYMAPS, and enable the OSM map.
- No automatic recalculation takes place.
- Start the same route, chances are that you get 'Can not calculate route'.

When I eventually found out that changing the map from CN to OSM or vice-versa was a cause of the 'Can not calculate route' I decided to always recalculate the routes in BC before I use them on the XT.
Should BC not be available, because you're not at a desk with a computer, you can recalculate the route on the XT, by changing the routing preferences. But then the result will often be different from the route in BC.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Peobody wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:00 am The actual question is:
What happens when the routes are stored on the device and the map on the device gets updated, do those routes get recalculated the next time they are selected to ride?
Yes they do, at the time they get selected using Trip Planner. I just updated to CN NA NT 2024.20 and then loaded one of my Saved trips and one of my Imported trips. Both calculated before the list of route points was displayed. Am I surprised that one of them was changed? Nope, just frustrated by it. I don't know whether the other one was changed. I don't have its track on my XT to compare. What a PITA to have to delete all routes on the XT, recalc them in BaseCamp, and then load them back to the XT, doing the mimport fix somewhere along the way. I should feel fortunate that I keep less than a dozen rides on my XT.

Edit: I forgot the step of verfying each route after the recalculation in BaseCamp.
Last edited by Peobody on Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:16 pm Yes they do
Learning all the time.Thanks for the info.