Which model to buy (second hand)

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
litesport
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Which model to buy (second hand)

Post by litesport »

Hi there
I am currently based in Beijing and hope to be riding the Pamir Highway in the summer of 2024 (June/July).
The plan is to either ride or ship my bike from Beijing to Kashgar and then onwards further west.
I will have my phone which I could use for navigating but don't want to expose it to constant vibration and dust and possible accidents. So I am looking for a second hand Zumo, one that I can install open maps onto as and gpx routes.
I am relatively new to Garmin, I did have a GPSmap76s years ago that I used for both boating and hang gliding.

So I am trying to find a suitable model and have been looking at the 340, 346 and the 396.
Does anyone have any experience with these and is there a particular model I should ignore and is there a particular model I should look at in more detail?

I look forward to your replies.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Which model to buy (second hand)

Post by electro_handyman »

Truth be told, you should probably look at how you intend to mount the unit to your bike.
At that point I'd look to see what models you can get mounts for. That will more than likely be the deciding factor over anything else.
Some waterproof power mounts can be "unobtanium" for some models.(say the 450/550 series)
YMMV
litesport
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Post by litesport »

The models I'm looking at can all be bought off of ebay and come with mounts, wiring, etc.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

These models come with lifetime maps. Be sure that the model you are buying has the maps for the area you want to ride. Sellers do not often say - you have to ask the question. The photo of the box may reveal the country for which they are intended.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.