Newbie with PICNIC syndrome

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
MD Clark_Hicks
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Newbie with PICNIC syndrome

Post by MD Clark_Hicks »

Hi
I have had my Garmin Zumo XT a while and have learnt most functions, I have also learnt how to plan trips In Google Maps, export as a correct file format and see them on my Zumo, and hear is where my main challenge lies.
I see my collections on my Zumo XT that i have sent to the Zumo from importing into Garmin Maps.
But how on earth do I start the trip on my Zumo, I have gone to the appropriate collection and route, pressed it but nothing happens? I have imported as tracks, all the waypoints appear in my library, but all i want to do is start the route that is saved as a collection, and I can see it on my Zumo with the correct waypoints?

Thanks and like I say probably PICNIC syndrome, for those that aren't aware of this syndrome, Problem In Chair Not In Computer

Thanks
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Newbie with PICNIC syndrome

Post by Peobody »

In your XT tap the Apps button then the Trip Planner button then the Saved Trips button. You then select the route you want to ride. A list of the route points will appear. Be careful here because touching any of the flag icons will result in the route point being changed without a confirmation prompt (Via point will be changed to a Shaping point or vice versa). Of course you can intentionally change them. At the top is a Map button and a Go button. Tapping the Go button will prompt you for the point where you want to enter the route. Select it and then tap OK. The route will then start navigating.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MD Clark_Hicks
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by MD Clark_Hicks »

many thanks, i will take a look and give it a go
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum

I will echo @Peobody's warning about touching the route points in that list - because it changes the type of point -

Flag to blue disc - ie a Via to a Shaping point
Blue disc to flag - ie Shaping point to a Via point

Both will result in the route being recacluated.

But changing a Via to a Shaping point may also have a very unwanted side effect. It renames the point and moves it to a different location.

Sometime the move is insignificant, but it can often move it to a point that diverts your route onto a faster road. If you placed the Via specifically to avoid the faster road, that is a serious issue. Reported January 2022, duplicated, acknowledged as an issue, still not fixed. (current version 6.60)

Changing a shaping point to a via point doesn't do this.

ps - In my opinion, there are much better ways of planning routes for the XT than with Google maps. But that is a completely different topic.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.