setting route preferences inside each planned trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JeanDuVar
France

setting route preferences inside each planned trip

Post by JeanDuVar »

Hello

I wonder if Garmin could plan to have preferences set inside each single planned trip.
I mean, if I plan a trop on Monday with highways allowed, and a trip on Tuesday with no highways, I have to set the general parameters on Tuesday morning, not to ride on highways.

It would be kind of much easier if "no highways" was automatically set when loading the Tuesday trip, see ? the XT would display a warning pop-up "this trip has been planned with no highways. Do you confirm ? "... see what I mean ?

Actually this as a suggestion I'd like to submit to Garmin but is there a way to get in touch this way ?

Thanks for your advice :-)

Jean
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Re: setting route preferences inside each planned trip

Post by jfheath »

No - on the Zumos that I have owned, the only route preferences that are transferred from the route to the Zumo are the vehicle type and the routing preference - eg Motorcycle / Faster Time.

It then uses this information when recalculating the route - using the other preferences that are set in the Zumo for that particular vehicle.

If it doesn't recognise the vehicle that you specify , or it doesn't recognise the route preferences then it defaults to using Motorcycle and/or defaults to using Faster time. A few examples of this is given here - and this one is the easier to understand of the two.

If you want to know more about this then look here https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P38

But it takes some understanding. I researched and wrote this, and I went back to read it a couple of weeks ago, and it took me a while to understand it!. This document and one like it for the 590 has been around maybe 5 years. I have not had a single comment about it.....which usually means that its getting rather complex for what people want to know. I agree.

Now imagine a table like that with different avoidances set - does it use the settings in the route, or the settings in the zumo for that vehicle.

I believe that there is provision in the gpx files for specifying a different routing preference from each Via Point to the next, but it isn't used.

I don't know of any way to get the Zumo to switch its avoidances from anything that is provided in the route.

It would be nice to have that level of control, but it is getting rather complex - when all you really need is an additional shaping point or two to dictate the roads that you use - without 'lacing it up' - as some users seem to suggest - to the point that the stanav has no flexibility.

Of course - you can have that level of control in programs like Basecamp - use the custom 'profile' where you sepcify the routing behaviour for each particular route. Basecamp trasnmits the route as you planned it, and providing that you have the same maps loaded in Basecamp and in the Zumo, then the Zumo will not recalculate the route - unless you deviate, or press skip.

Turn off automatic recalculation, and your route will take you exactly where you planned and will not alter. If it does need to recalculate (such as when SKip is pressed), it will have to then resort to using the settings in the Zumo.

The other way is to create a track of the route that you have planned, and display that as well as the route. If the route is recalculated, the track becomes visible (It is normally under the route on the XT), and you can follow the originally plotted roads.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

You can change a trip to use Adventurous.
When you start a trip, then you can move the slider for more or less Adventurous.

See https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2547

If you set a trip to adventurous that was imported from BC, or MRA, you can expect differences. Dont know if its useful!
JeanDuVar
France

Post by JeanDuVar »

FrankB wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:20 am You can change a trip to use Adventurous.
When you start a trip, then you can move the slider for more or less Adventurous.
Hello, I am not searching for differences, but for "my preferences" actually. I want the trip to be the exact route I created on Basecamp or on another software.
I will remember I can save the gpx as a track (kml), I can avoid recalculating the route, or include as many waypoints as needed to force the calculating to keep the initial route...
JeanDuVar
France

Post by JeanDuVar »

jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 am Turn off automatic recalculation, and your route will take you exactly where you planned and will not alter. If it does need to recalculate (such as when SKip is pressed), it will have to then resort to using the settings in the Zumo.
The other way is to create a track of the route that you have planned, and display that as well as the route. If the route is recalculated, the track becomes visible (It is normally under the route on the XT), and you can follow the originally plotted roads.
There could not be a more complete answer I guess, thanks a lot :-)
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

JeanDuVar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:07 pm Hello, I am not searching for differences, but for "my preferences" actually. I want the trip to be the exact route I created on Basecamp or on another software.
Ok. Now I understand.
But beware, as jfheath mentioned, if the XT needs to recalculate it will likely be different from Basecamp.
In the past I have tried by adjusting the settings in Basecamp to match the settings on the XT (and vice versa) so that the results will be same. I never managed 100%. What I use now is: Faster Time, No avoidances, except for unpaved. And that works best, or better gives the least differences.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:21 pm In the past I have tried by adjusting the settings in Basecamp to match the settings on the XT (and vice versa) so that the results will be same. I never managed 100%. What I use now is: Faster Time, No avoidances, except for unpaved. And that works best, or better gives the least differences.
I have done the same and come to the same conclusion. Having the track on the map, as @jfheath mentioned, makes is easy to see when a recalc results in a deviation from the intended route. When that happens, your options are to manually follow the track or to restart the route.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can try making the suggestion to Garmin but as BaseCamp development stopped years ago I don't see any hope for improvement

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

I spent many years in contact with the BaseCamp development team and they were all extremely sad when Garmin closed them down. BaseCamp now 'is what it is'
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Hasn't Garmin also recently announced that they have stopped further software development for the XT?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

electro_handyman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:10 pm Hasn't Garmin also recently announced that they have stopped further software development for the XT?
I thought so, but then a new firmware was released so I guess not.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.