Waypoint weblinks - Nice feature

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Waypoint weblinks - Nice feature

Post by Peobody »

In case you don't know about waypoint weblinks, I have recently discovered that feature and found it to be valuable for recording the URL of potential motels near daily stopping points. Having them readily available makes it easier when it comes time to check rates, availability, and make a reservation (I started that process today for a trip that has been in the planning stages for several weeks). I also used it to record the URL to the reservations webpage of a ferry terminal.

The weblinks feature is at the bottom of the Notes tab in the waypoint details.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoint weblinks - Nice feature

Post by jfheath »

I had not noticed that before @Peobody . Thank you.

One good reason for using Waypoints in your route eg for hotels, is that the details such as address, phone number and/or web page are stored with the Waypoint. This information is stored when transferred to the Zumo, and can be used to (say) call the hotel from the Zumo screen.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

You can also add weblinks to tracks, routes, etc. I don't think these can seen on the XT, but I added weblinks to many of my routes when I started using BC. Many times I see a road or route recommended in a forum, and I create the route and store it in my "Someday" folder. Besides linking the special attractions, restaurants, lodging, I add weblinks to the forum message with the recommendation so I can see why the route was recommended and can possibly send a thank you to the poster after the trip.

Of course, I usually forget to look at the notes, and the entire effort is wasted... :cry:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:15 pm Of course, I usually forget to look at the notes, and the entire effort is wasted...
:lol: Me too! I used the notes tab a good bit early in my BC usage but less so now. It baffles me that I didn't noticed the weblink function until now.

@jfheath, how do I access the waypoint details, like a hotel phone number, while riding a route?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

When the trip is running, click the back arrow in the bottom left corner.

Where To -> Favourites (or Where To -> Saved)

The list of fvaourites is displayed in promiximity order, and has an arrow to indicate the direction. That and the distance are displayed in real time. More than likely when you select it, the place you want will be the one that is at the top of the list.

Tap the one that you want, followed the (i) information button in the menu bar taht opens up.

Under the name of the point you selected is the phone number (if it has one), followed by the cooridinates.
Tap the three bar menu, and select 'Call'. 'Call' is only available if headset and phone are both connected.

I had a feeling that it was easier than this on some earlier Zumos, maybe it popped up on arrival at the destination and the opportunity to call was given - or maybe if you select a known location from the internal database - eg foursquare ? Can't remember - it was ages ago that I saw it just pop up. So the 590 or the 660.

Whatever - it is there for a few gloved finger presses.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:45 pm When the trip is running, click the back arrow in the bottom left corner.

Where To -> Favourites (or Where To -> Saved)

The list of fvaourites is displayed in promiximity order, and has an arrow to indicate the direction. That and the distance are displayed in real time. More than likely when you select it, the place you want will be the one that is at the top of the list.

Tap the one that you want, followed the (i) information button in the menu bar taht opens up.
Thanks. I have cleaned out my Saved list in preparation for my next trip so will give it a try once I have transferred some of those routes from BC.