New firmware 6.60 for Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: New firmware 6.60 for Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

I'm fighting the devil. If all goes south, I'll put my 595 back on - suitably converted to a 590.
Installed and working so far. I haven't found anything that has changed yet, but I need to go a long way to test RUT behaviour.

I don't think it will fix that. I had replies last night. Nothing yet from the USA team, everyone is overloaded - but this could be a pre-cursor to that - get a few basic anomalies sorted out before the big ones.

Give's the lie to the nay-sayers who were told that they were not working on the XT any more ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

danham wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:47 am Leaving for a 4-day ride Monday, so on the edge of my seat following this. Time to invoke Rule #1 -- never do an update just before a trip? Or will there be an important improvement that I just =have= to have?
Yes! please update, and tell us how it went after your trip! :twisted:
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Initial limited testing makes me think that the Repeated u-turns and faster roads difficulties haven't been fixed in 6.60 :(
Mzokk
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Mzokk »

Only did a bit of desktop testing but the faster roads thing still seems to be the same.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just returned from a 6 day trip. I had intentionally NOT installed 6.60 before the trip. I just went to do the update and found the firmware is current at 6.60. Is there a log file or any other indicator that would show when 6.60 was installed?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

When I did mine, I took a copy of the system folder beforehand, trying to find which files it changed. A useless exercise because many of the rules in there a were all given the same date. You have an approximate date of installation. Take a look see if anything stands out. If you don't want that to happen in future, turn off wifi on the XT.

How was your trip ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:20 pm I just returned from a 6 day trip. I had intentionally NOT installed 6.60 before the trip. I just went to do the update and found the firmware is current at 6.60. Is there a log file or any other indicator that would show when 6.60 was installed?
Could this be related to your 'dead XT'? viewtopic.php?t=2582

Just thinking out loud:
-You were in the hotel with the lousy WIFI.
- The device started updating.
- At some point the update stalled because of the WIFI.
- The XT decides to 'go to sleep'.

????
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just taken a look at my last update - which was for Software version 6.60, which I installed very soon after it came out - 13th October 2023.

A load of files had the same date which today are reported as 01/01/2031 00:00

Only one file has the date on which I carried out the update - B348400.update which is in the .System folder. 13/10/2023 09:23

Whether or not this file is a feature of using Express, I don't know. But it might be worth a look. The time stamp is approximately correct too - but Zumos time stamps are often out by an hour - some weird DST calculation gone wrong. Nearly always seen in the active logs.

I wondered if this observation and your flat battery are related. Roll up at a hotel, your Zumo finds a wi-fi connection (maybe your phone acting as host) and keeps itself turned on while it downloads ? Check your Settings -> Wireless Networks -> Wifi settings, see if Wifi is turned on. I think that each new version of software puts a tick in that box.

I used this once ages back - it never reports anything that it has updated - since then I always remember to turn it off. It has never updated itself automatically.

(I see @FrankB posted similar while I was typing !)

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:35 am Only one file has the date on which I carried out the update - B348400.update which is in the .System folder. 13/10/2023 09:23
For me, that file is time stamped 11/4/2023 3:16 PM. That was the day we returned home. The XT would have been mounted on the bike sitting in the driveway at 3:16. If the update occurred then without prompting then I'm intrigued by the fact that it did not update during all the days preceding the trip.

As for the trip, it was good. Part way in my wife started struggling with a pain in her leg and me with cold symptoms so we cut the trip short. Still, we road about 600 miles along the coastline of the southeastern US (Savannah to Nags Head). My wife wishes she had counted the number of bridges over water that we traversed. It was a bunch. I would be more interested in how many miles we rode on bridges. During trip prep we watched the long range weather forecast predict a cold snap and they were right. We had a couple of really chilly days but we made it through OK.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:29 pm For me, that file is time stamped 11/4/2023 3:16 PM. That was the day we returned home. The XT would have been mounted on the bike sitting in the driveway at 3:16. If the update occurred then without prompting then I'm intrigued by the fact that it did not update during all the days preceding the trip.
Presumably it was able to connect to your home wifi - because it knew the password and the network to connect to. I did catch mine starting this process once - I don't remember clearly - If it had asked me, I wouldn't have allowed it. So it must have just informed me. Thats when I decided to keep it always turned off. I think I just shut it down to stop it. But why yours didn't update earlier, I don't know. It came out on or the day before 13th October. That's two weeks to attempt it. Pass.
Peobody wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:29 pm As for the trip, it was good. Part way in my wife started struggling with a pain in her leg and me with cold symptoms so we cut the trip short. Still, we road about 600 miles along the coastline of the southeastern US (Savannah to Nags Head). My wife wishes she had counted the number of bridges over water that we traversed. It was a bunch. I would be more interested in how many miles we rode on bridges. During trip prep we watched the long range weather forecast predict a cold snap and they were right. We had a couple of really chilly days but we made it through OK.
Glad you had a good ride. Just been educating myself about SE USA Savvannah to Nags Head - about which I thought I knew nothing, but I was familiar with the eastern seaboard and the outer banks - the long thin islands, and I guess the reason for the bridges that you encountered.

It gets cold this time of year, but far better to cut and run with the good memories that you had - and know that you had the good sense to escape the worse days to come. But riding with cold symptoms. That is no fun at all. Leg pain - yes we get those, and they are getting more problematic as we get older. Ours are time and temperature, but all sorts of other things like stretching exercises sort some of mine out. Too long in one position in the cold, does not help. I can still ride 200-300 miles in a day if I fancy a long run, but my wife won't do that any more - so if we are plannignt rips I'll aim for 100-150 miles with 2 good stops, and make each one route a wide arc so that I have a secret 'straight line' escape route if the weather changes or we are getting weary.

We've had a few 3 camping trips where we have aborted early as the weather fronts develop. Sit at home as the wind and rain batters, feeling smug, and then take off again. Sometimes this has been planned - a figure of 8 route with our house as a one night stop at the cross over. We did the full length of the UK - down to the SW corner, then back home for a couple of nights to dry off, wash and then take off again to the north of Scotland. This was much easier to do when we were camping, but now we use hotels and B&Bs and these have to be booked well in advance.