inability to start basecamp since map update...XT2

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Mork
Belgium

inability to start basecamp since map update...XT2

Post by Mork »

Dear, for years I've been working on basecamp on my laptop now latest version windows 11.
However, since I updated maps via Garmin Express for zumo590, camper1090, and also XT2, basecamp doesn't start up anymore on this laptop.
Luckily, for years, I've been making backups of my basecamp ;-)
I uninstalled en re-downloaded from the garmin website, but every time, while the .exe-file runs to re-install, it blocks and gives a fault-report. I've sent multiple to garmin, but got untill now no answer.
Belgian garmin support doesn't make me wiser... If so, the only way to go on using BC is on another laptop, they say.
As using the tread-app on smartphone or gps itself is not handy at all, I feel abandonned by garminservice at the moment.
Hereby, I'm looking over borders for anyone with tips...
Thanks in advance
Mork
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: inability to start basecamp since map update...XT2

Post by jfheath »

Hi and Welcome to the forums.

Basecamp and Express are probably fighting over the same USB connection.
Every time you update Express, it sets itself to stay resident in the computer so that it can spring into action as soon as you insert the USB cable.

Which is a pain.

Load Express
Click the gear icon on the top of the Express Screen.
Select General from the menu that appears on the left.
Untick 'Always Keep Garmin Express running in the background'
Untick the other one as well - otherwise it will load up when you want to send BC files to the XT.

Close down Expresss, and then try Basecamp again. I don't think you need to restart the computer. But if it doesn't work, then try that and post a reply to your thread.

It will stay OK like this - until you have to update Express again. At that point, check the same settings and untick the same boxes as the new version always seems to leave them ticked.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mork
Belgium

Post by Mork »

Hi Jfheath,

I checked wether 'Always Keep Garmin Express running in the background' was unticked, as well as the second one.
Both were unticked, as I always do set them after updating G.E..
Tried to re-install again basecamp from scratch, but zip.
It doesn't work...
:roll:
Greetz
Mork
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Mork wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:31 pm I checked wether 'Always Keep Garmin Express running in the background' was unticked,
A recent Garmin Express version kept Express running in the background and started it on system startup even when that option was unticked. I believe it was v7.18.1.0 but I'm not sure. Check for it with Task Manager and kill it if it is running. IIRC, the problem was fixed in v7.18.3.0.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Bear
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Bear »

Under Windows 10 Garmin Express and Basecamp will run concurrently and both seem to recognoise my Zumo 595.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I installed City Navigator Europe NTU 2024.2 on my XT, my 595 and on the computer last night. All worked well.

Except - It failed when I tried to install onto the 595 and the computer in one operation. That is often the case - Express fails to complete the full list of updates. One at a time seems to be the way to go. It had installed to the XT, so I just installed to the PC as a separate operation.
Having said that, I just looked again, and having already got it onto the PC, the XT connection is now offering to install the map to the PC.

The option to install to the PC wasn't available when I installed to the XT, but it was available when I connected the 595 and installed to that first and to the PC later. Express v7.18.4.0

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mork
Belgium

Post by Mork »

Hi, I've been thinking and followed the steps underneath to try to resolve - as I can see at the moment, with positive result ;-)
softwareversion of G.E. on my pc = 7.18.4.0, the latest, that doesn't interfere anymore as I read here
however, I kept thinking there is an interference between G.E. and B.C., so
I removed as much as possible of files from garmin at all off my computer in app's, downloadfiles, and by running the explorer on the pc.
Once done, restarted pc.
Then, downloaded BC again. Great, but whithout any personal files in it (I removed them probably ...) - whithout problem I re-installed all my BC-stuff by my back-up stick. Big comfort to have such backup !!
Next re-downloaded G.E. and linked my gps-es to it.
Looks fine at the moment ! :D ;) ;)
By this I can get back on preparing tracks, as the bikerseason gets to an end :) :)
Hopefully, garmin reads with me and learns of it. Fingers crossed, but the solution from Belgian garmin managers, suggesting to get my pc to an IT-guy, seems at the moment not at all necessary...
Waiting for the next map update, and the affect to BC etc.... Probably, to be solved by this all ;-)

Thanks for thinking with me !
Greetz
Mork (Belgian BC-kindoff-addict ;-) )