Delete ALL personal data

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
wingrider.steve
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Delete ALL personal data

Post by wingrider.steve »

Now I have got used to my XT I am going to sell my 595LM and have just done a factory reset on it.
All my favourites have been wiped but if I go into the Trip Planner there is still the option to import some previously used routes.
How can I wipe all traces of previous routes so they can not be imported?
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Delete ALL personal data

Post by lkraus »

Did you remove the microSD card, or delete all the data on it?
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Delete everything in the GPX folder then reboot your Zumo and delete any trips using the Zumo menus. They should all then be gone. I assume you've removed any sd card?
wingrider.steve
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wingrider.steve »

I didn't have a SD card in there.
I have now deleted everything from the GPX folder and that finally got rid of previous routes etc.
Many thanks for the help.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad you are sorted.

Just for the sake of anyone else coming to the thread...

temp.gpx contains all of the data that was last transferred to the XT - ready to import.
current.gpx contains the data that has been imported and is currently in the menus.
Archive (folder) contains files of your riding history - where you have been - track logs. These are also deleted by a system reset.
Position.gpx contains your last position. Usually your home address sunce that is usually where you are when you look at it. It makes it easier for the Zumo to find the satellites when restarting.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:01 am These are also deleted by a system reset.
You mentioned routinely doing resets when testing. What reset method do you use? IIRC, there are a couple of ways to go about it so I'm curious which you have found to be easiest. I really like the idea of periodically cleaning out its memory.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

First with the XT in hand I delete:

All Favourites
All Routes in Trip Planner
All transferred Tracks(not track logs)
Clear History

I take a look and see if there is anything to import in favourites, tracks and trip planner. Make a mental note.

I connect the USB cable.

I copy my CurrentTrackLog.gpx and the Archive folder. I like to keep them.

Delete the gpx files except for position.gpx.
Take out the SD card.

Then System Reset.
Then I cold restart again.

Then check that no data has reappeared, and check there is nothing to import for favourites, tracks and routes in tip planner.

The restart process needs to be done twice. If files are missing, the system needs to rebuild them, and things I have observed suggest to me that rebuilding stuff that it needs cannot be completed in one restart - perhaps because the files that it needed at the start were not there.

I can't explain that with examples. But something makes me believe it is necessary. I might be wrong, but thats what I do.

The reset clears out the archive - which is why I saved it, and why I didn't bother deleting it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.