Garmin Drive app is not what I expected

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
Splinter
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Garmin Drive app is not what I expected

Post by Splinter »

Prior to buying the XT I was pleased to see that you could plan a route using the Drive app and then send it to the unit from the phone, but in practice it's not quite as simple that because the app isn't as feature rich as the route planner on the unit itself. It seems to be based on Google Maps which is fine, but with many large cities like Buenos Aires having multiple streets with the same name (Peron for example), it's not always clear which one is on offer.
Once I've found the correct address, the app sends the route to the XT no problem, but having more options available to choose from such as the name of the town would be very helpful.
I'm also surprised that the app doesn't show a Go Home icon, which is the one I use the most frequently.
Anyway, I'll carry on using the app for basic route planning, but it does seem a little sparse on features to say the least.
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Re: Garmin Drive app is not what I expected

Post by Zumek »

Splinter wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:04 pm Prior to buying the XT I was pleased to see that you could plan a route using the Drive app and then send it to the unit from the phone,
Where you found that information? It so wrong that I’m surprised that someone could think about that app in such way… Garmin Drive is simple bridge between Garmin server/cloud services and your XT unit. To show weather, traffic info:

From app description: “ For compatible navigators, the Garmin Drive app provides real-time information for traffic, parking, advanced weather, and photoLive traffic cameras, in addition to the ability to send and receive calls, texts, and notifications from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device.”
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Perhaps the Garmin Drive app was confused with Garmin Explore. There are lots of folks here who don't like and don't use Explore so research is advised.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

Zumek wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:34 pm
Splinter wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:04 pm Prior to buying the XT I was pleased to see that you could plan a route using the Drive app and then send it to the unit from the phone,
Where you found that information? It so wrong that I’m surprised that someone could think about that app in such way… Garmin Drive is simple bridge between Garmin server/cloud services and your XT unit. To show weather, traffic info:

From app description: “ For compatible navigators, the Garmin Drive app provides real-time information for traffic, parking, advanced weather, and photoLive traffic cameras, in addition to the ability to send and receive calls, texts, and notifications from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device.”
Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. You can plan a route with Garmin Drive and then send it to your phone and it works very well. In other words, when both are paired, you don't even have to touch the XT. I like that.
All I was referring to were the lack of options, but perhaps that doesn't really matter anyway.
Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:53 pm Perhaps the Garmin Drive app was confused with Garmin Explore. There are lots of folks here who don't like and don't use Explore so research is advised.
Garmin Explore is is more for your trekking people, but not for the XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Splinter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. You can plan a route with Garmin Drive and then send it to your phone and it works very well.
Perhaps I am confused. AFAIK, you can not plan a route on the Garmin Drive app. You can plan a route on another app and than share it or send it to the Drive app which will then transfer it to the XT.
Splinter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm Garmin Explore is is more for your trekking people, but not for the XT.
Not so. The XT wants to use Explore by default. It requires intent to avoid Explore. Garmin support folks promote using Explore over a routing program like BaseCamp.
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:06 pm
Splinter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. You can plan a route with Garmin Drive and then send it to your phone and it works very well.
Perhaps I am confused. AFAIK, you can not plan a route on the Garmin Drive app. You can plan a route on another app and than share it or send it to the Drive app which will then transfer it to the XT.
Splinter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm Garmin Explore is is more for your trekking people, but not for the XT.
Not so. The XT wants to use Explore by default. It requires intent to avoid Explore. Garmin support folks promote using Explore over a routing program like BaseCamp.
I plan routes with the Drive App as I've already said. It asks "Where to?" and off I go because it sends the route to the XT.
Which "another app" are you referring to?
Cheers.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Splinter wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:37 pm I plan routes with the Drive App as I've already said. It asks "Where to?" and off I go
Sorry. I don't consider a "Where to?" route a planned route. You are not doing any planning, you are just picking the destination and letting the XT get you there. AFAIK, the Drive App is not creating the route, it is just submitting the destination to the XT which then calculates the route. Have you seen a different behavior or ease-of-use when doing "Where to?" in the Drive app vs. just using the "Where to?" button on the XT?

To me, a planned route is, at a minimum, one in which you control the roads to travel on to reach the destination. Route planning tools frequently mentioned on this forum are BaseCamp and MyRouteApp (aka MRA).
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

We are getting into semantics here...
Splinter wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:37 pm I plan routes with the Drive App as I've already said. It asks "Where to?" and off I go because it sends the route to the XT.
Most of us here would just call that "Picking a destination". It is no different than entering an address on the XT. Generally that is just a single point, and relies on the XT to choose how to get there, using the current preferences and avoidances set in the GPS. You cannot change those preferences from Drive. Many of us feel that the XT is not particularly good at picking a route, often choosing longer and/or slower options than we would pick ourselves.

Route planning often involves multiple stops, and implies that the user is taking control of the "how", selecting the preferred roads and sequence of stops. That is the intended purpose of Garmin's Explore phone app. It has it's own limitations and changes some behaviors of the XT, so some will choose not to use it, and rely on Basecamp or another program to produce their routes.
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

Splinter wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:37 pm I plan routes with the Drive App as I've already said. It asks "Where to?" and off I go because it sends the route to the XT.
In that case, I don't understand why you use the XT… Any phone with Google or Apple maps will guide you much more accurately, allow you to avoid traffic jams or closed roads. In my opinion Garmin is a tool for navigating planned routes. One or several days, in the tourist sense. In my opinion, you are using a hammer to write letters - the wrong tool for the chosen task.
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

Sorry fellas, I probably misunderstood the usage of the Drive App and in fact I don't use it to plan a full route, but use the XT instead when riding around the city for my messenger/courier work, especially when the day involves numerous waypoints.
If it's a case of A to B, then I may input an address in the Drive app, yes.
I haven't done a long journey since buying the XT, so apart from playing with the Explore app, I haven't had a chance to use it in anger so to speak.
As for using Google Maps, I always use that for the big picture since the city is so enormous and I certainly won't use a $1000 phone sitting on my bike.
I disagree with the hammer analogy, but will simply say that for me it's the logical upgrade from my Nuvi 67 which was never designed for bikes anyway.
I appreciate all your comments and the advice given.
Many thanks.