Speed Camera Sound - Replacement?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 620 times
Great Britain

Re: Speed Camera Sound - Replacement?

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:29 pm My speed warning is off as well. It has been since early in my XT experience. Like @lkraus, I would find the it useful if I could set a sensitivity level; it going off at +1 mph over got old very fast. I do my best to adhere to speed limits when in urban areas but admit to cruising at +4, conditions permitting. At first I really liked that the color changed on the speed limit indicator. It served as an alert. I thought it was pretty accurate too. Not any more. I rate that last two CN NA NT maps at >50% accurate for speed limits which makes that color change just another unreliable part of the XT.
Driver Assistance speeding alert can be set to off, Over, or 5mph Over for inside and outside the city area.

Note that this setting is stored separately for the car mode and for the bike mode. So if you set the settings when in your car, you will need to set them again when you are on the bike. Not that if you load a route that was intended for a car, then it switches the Zumo into car mode while the route is running, and it leaves it in car mode. When working on the XT on your desk with powere coing intot he USB port, the XT may well change itself to car mode - although I think this is the first Zumo that gives you a warning.
Peobody wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:27 pm Perhaps this is a U.S vs European device difference but my XT (U.S.) does not have Driver Assistance -> Proximity Alerts.
It didn't have the option where you could select off, single tone or continuous tone for alerts either until I added a custom POI list. Now I can't find how to access that option.
I've just changed my unit to be a USA variety - this gives it things like the Helmet Law notification when crossing boundaries, and 'Favourites' become 'Saved' and a few other things.

But the Driver Assistance Speeding Alert is still there. Proximity Alert was also still there, down at the bottom of a list of 8 items which starts with Rider Alerts. Proximity Alerts has 'Audio' as a menu item, which offers Single Tone, Continuous Tone or Off. Alerts just has Garmin Safety cameras on my unit in UK mode. But this may be where your own POIs may be listed for turning alerts on and off.

To change the region, you need to access the long press circular speedo button. It is in Configuration & Settings, Change Locale. The XT reboots on pressing Save.

Try changing your Locale to UK - see if that makes a difference. Clearly it affects some of the menus.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 111 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:54 am Try changing your Locale to UK - see if that makes a difference. Clearly it affects some of the menus.
That might be a useful change. It does provide options for in or out of the city, and allows for multiple levels of lawlessness.

U.K. miles are the same length as U.S. miles, but the temperature units are Celsius, with no option to change to Fahrenheit. Not a big deal, since my bike and cars have their own displays, and I might learn what the Celsius numbers feel like.

But how do I fix the misspelling of "Favorites"?
:lol:
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 620 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Colour, Favourites, Harbour, Arbour, favour ....

Your 'Favorite' version looks just as bad to us in the UK as our 'Favourite' does to us. (Sorry, I'll translate that 'as or favorites does to yo' !!)

We had it drummed into us as kids at school. Colour: C - O - L Oh - you - are - a baby if you can't spell 'colour'.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 284 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:54 am I've just changed my unit to be a USA variety - this gives it things like the Helmet Law notification when crossing boundaries, and 'Favourites' become 'Saved' and a few other things.
But the Driver Assistance Speeding Alert is still there.
Yes it is, but only as an on/off tick box. I see what you are talking about when the locale is U.K. though.
jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:54 am Proximity Alert was also still there, down at the bottom of a list of 8 items which starts with Rider Alerts. Proximity Alerts has 'Audio' as a menu item, which offers Single Tone, Continuous Tone or Off. Alerts just has Garmin Safety cameras on my unit in UK mode. But this may be where your own POIs may be listed for turning alerts on and off.
No Proximity Alert item on mine regardless whether local is U.S. or U.K. This is troubling because I went to the trouble of adding a custom POI file solely because doing so enabled the Tone options (Single, Continuous, Off). I know that it worked because I was able to change the double bong-bong school alert to a single bong-bong. That option is nowhere to be found now though. Perhaps a custom POI file with proximity set is required for the option to be available. IIRC, I changed mine, removing the proximity setting. That might explain why the Proximity Alert option is gone.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.