Does the "None" profile prevent device calculation on import?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Does the "None" profile prevent device calculation on import?

Post by Peobody »

During a ride with a buddy earlier this week we got into a discussion about routes created in BC ending up being different during the import calculation on different devices. He was adamant that assigning a route a "None" activity profile in BC prevented that. I just did three tests to try to prove him wrong.
1. I changed the profile to None on a 60 mile local route and transferred it to the XT. I thought surely the "None" profile would trigger a calculation on import. It didn't.
2. I then did the test again using a similarly sized local route that I am pretty certain was created with an old map and it didn't calculate on import either.
3. I then switched BC to an old map and created a new 200 mi route containing 19 via points. Its import went quickly enough that I think the XT was just recording the via points as Saved and not actually calculating the route. Creation using an old map should have triggered a map mismatch calculation on import, right?

Did the None profile prevent calculation on import? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Does the "None" profile prevent device calculation on import?

Post by jfheath »

Generally speaking, the Zumos recognise only a handful of profiles.

Motorcycling, Driving and Direct. Off road appears too, but not for the XT.

My observations are that if the route is set to use a profile that is not recognised by the XT, then it will use motorcycling. If it you use a navigation method that is not recognised by the Zumo, it uses faster time.

I did some investigation into this and produced a brief summary of the results here:
app.php/ZXT-P38

But I don't think that I came to any conclusions abaout recalculation.

Generally speaking, if it is set up not to recaculate, and maps are the same, the routes will not recalculate on transfer. If you use the BC profile called Direct, then that produces straight lines.

Just throwing in information - I don't think I have answered your question though. I can't at the moment - been out all day - went to the funeral of a good friend.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:24 pm been out all day - went to the funeral of a good friend.
My condolences. It is a shame that the older we get the more of those we attend.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Cheers @Peobody
I suppose it's better than never having the opportunity to go to any funerals.
The one thing that hits home is how much nicer it would have been if the get-together had included the person that was missing.

Profiles.

A profile is a collection of settings that can be quickly applied to a number of routes, without having to enter all of those settings indvidually.

You may have noticed that if you have a couple of hours to kill, and don't know what to do, one good way of filling the time is to change the motocycle profile - eg simple change like avoid unmade roads. The time is easily filled as it has to go through every single route that has used the motorcycle profile, load it in, recalculate it and save it. The first half hour can be spent convincing yourself that it won't take too long.

I once tried to get round this by making my own profiles, but whatever I called it , it was not recognised by the Zumo. The word has to be what BAsecamp calls them - either Motorcycling, Driving, or Direct. It will not recognise anything else. It doesn't complain it just assumes that you meant 'motorcycling'. The Zumo has Motorcyle, Car, Offroad.
  • 'Motorcycling' in Basecamp uses the settings for Motorcycle on the XT
  • 'Driving' in Basecamp uses the settings stored for 'Car' on the XT
  • 'Off Roading' in Basecamp isn't recognised by the XT. It uses Motorcycle !
  • The 'Direct' profile sets the XT to use Motorcycle, but changes the calculation mode to 'Straight Line'.
The None profile

'None' isn't a profile at all. 'None'. None means - do not get the settings from a stored profile. Instead, you have to create the route settings - route caclulation mode, avoidance, speed profile etc manually. And you have to do this separately for every single route that is not set to use the information stored in a profile. ie it is set to None.

If you send a route without a profile, the XT will use the settings that is has in the 'None' setting Usage mode. If it doesn't recognise that, it will use the Zumo's own 'Motorcyle' Usage Mode. Route preferences are always set to something in BAsecamp, but the Zumo doesn't accept curvy roads - so it defaults to faster time.

There doesn't seem to be an advantage in using the None Profile - since the Zumo is going to over-rule anything that you set.
But it can be extremely useful.

When you change the settings within a 'Custom' route (ie None), BC doesn't have to recaclulate any other route. So any changes that you make can be viewed instantaneously. (ie as soon as you tick / untick the box, the route on the map alters. Brilliant if you have got two screens. And if you haven't, I throroughly recommend it.

Make a track of where you want to go. Create the route and add a minimum number of shaping points - you can add and delete them, change from faster to shorter and see how it affects the route. If nothing you do affects causes the route to change then that to me looks as though it will be quite bomb proof.

I've learned to leave everything unticked on Basecamp. Make the route go where you want by using as shaping points - as few as possible. The Zumos do not receive any information about your preferences other than mode of transport (eg car, bike, direct) and route calculation mode (eg faster, shorter). Nothing else.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.