For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Join a route midways

Post by Peobody »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:47 pm NOPE! I tested this, this afternoon.
I rode about 15 miles from the beginning of a route. At this point I started the Trip Planner on my 590, and I selected the Start waypoint of the route.
As expected, the 590 calculated a beginning of the route to direct me to the Start waypoint. I made sure that I was on the planned route roadway, and I selected the Skip function. This caused a recalculation which still was directing me to the Start of the route. However once I passed that first redirection and made my first turn on the planned route, the directions and the arrival time all lined up for the planned route that I joined midstream.

I kept stopping the route and starting the process over again because there are variables that might cause different results. My 590 is set to prompt for a recalculation when I go off-route. Sometimes I selected yes, sometimes no. I kind of lost track of results, but each time it settled into the planned route. It never calculated a route directly to the End waypoint, because I never selected the End waypoint.
Well, that's far better behaved than what I think the XT would do. Teaches me not to conjecture about a device that I know nothing about.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:47 pm
NOPE! I tested this, this afternoon.
I rode about 15 miles from the beginning of a route. At this point I started the Trip Planner on my 590, and I selected the Start waypoint of the route.
As expected, the 590 calculated a beginning of the route to direct me to the Start waypoint. I made sure that I was on the planned route roadway, and I selected the Skip function. This caused a recalculation which still was directing me to the Start of the route. However once I passed that first redirection and made my first turn on the planned route, the directions and the arrival time all lined up for the planned route that I joined midstream.
I'm confused. Im struggling to remember the 590. Mine died.

If you Skip the start point, it should remove the start point from the list of route points that it has to visit.

Are you saying that the start point remained in its list - the flag was still showing on the map ?
Or had it calculated a route that happened to take you through the start.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

jfheath wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:33 am
If you Skip the start point, it should remove the start point from the list of route points that it has to visit.

Are you saying that the start point remained in its list - the flag was still showing on the map ?
Or had it calculated a route that happened to take you through the start.
I don't know what the 590 is doing internally to lists or anything else.

If you are near or on a stored route in the Trip Planner, and you want to "activate" that route and follow it from somewhere in the middle, the app doesn't easily allow this. When you choose a waypoint from the route to join it, you could select the start, end or a waypoint somewhere in the middle if you made one. The 590 will create it's own routing directly to that chosen waypoint first, and once you reach that waypoint the route and all of its shaping starts to take effect. That's why you can't choose the End waypoint, because the entire planned route will be ignored.

What I tested, seems to show that if you choose the Start and then select the Skip function, once you get past the first turn on the planned route, the routing to the Start gets discarded and the planned route shaping begins. That is what I observed.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the clarification - I misunderstood what you were saying.

Yes, what you have described very clearly is correct - that is precisely what it does. The list of points from which you select the next destination at the start - only the via points are listed, not the shaping points.

If you want to join a route mid-way, and the point isn't shown, you can modify the route points in the trip planner. Tap on a shaping point (blue disc) and it will change it to a via point (orange flag). You can then start the route and select the newly altered via point from the list.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.