Where I've Been app

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Where I've Been app

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:33 pm Peobody wrote: ↑07 Sep 2023 10:03
The only workaround I came up with was to remove the picture files and replace them with picture screen snips using the "Upload clipboard image" function.
Tell me more.... That sounds useful. You mean it doesn't have to be saved as a file first. Most forums allow clipboard, but I'm resigned to using a temp folder just for zumouserforums images !
You are correct in that the image does not need to be saved as a file first. You can upload an image that has been captured to the clipboard. If you use a screen snip utility with drawing and annotation capabilities you can add whatever you want, copy it, and then attach it to a post from the clipboard.

If by "Tell me more" you are asking about how to add a clipboard image, that function is in an unlikely place yet in plain sight if you have attached files; it's at the very bottom of 'Add files' file browser window.
clipimage.jpg
clipimage.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 601 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:09 pm If by "Tell me more" you are asking about how to add a clipboard image, that function is in an unlikely place yet in plain sight if you have attached files; it's at the very bottom of 'Add files' file browser window.
clipimage.jpg
The software used in some other forums does allow uploading an image directly from the clipboard to a message with a simple rightclick+paste, or Ctrl-V, but the software here is pretty limited.

That "Paste from clipboard" function in your picture is a part of your browser or a browser extension. It looks like you are using Windows, but which browser? I don't have that option using Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Opera.

The rotated image problem on forums seems to be unique to photos taken with an iPhone, I'm not sure a reliable solution has ever been found. Turning on Screenshots under the Zumo display settings might be an option, though transferring the images to the computer can be a bit tedious.
Last edited by lkraus on Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:52 pm That "Paste from clipboard" function in your picture is a part of your browser or a browser extension. It looks like you are using Windows, but which browser?
You are correct! I am shocked since I am not using a 'feature rich' browser.
lkraus wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:52 pm It looks like you are using Windows, but which browser?
Windows 10 with Slimjet as the browser. I have checked for the "Paste from clipboard" option in Firefox, Vivaldi, and Edge. No joy. Did I say I am shocked! I am sorry to all for getting your hopes up about this function.

I use Slimjet because it's based on Chromium, reportedly Google neutered, and easy on resources. I am often frustrated by things that it can't do as compared to Vivaldi, but WOW!, I really like that it has the paste from clipboard function.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 pm
jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:37 am Just teasing about the upside down pictures. I don't know why that happened.
@wolfman, Don't feel like you did anything incorrectly that resulted in the 180° rotation. I have had pictures displayed with a 90° rotation. I couldn't figure it why so asked about it in the forum help. @Stu responded that it is a known forum software issue. I assume the same bug bit you, just multiplied by two. The only workaround I came up with was to remove the picture files and replace them with picture screen snips using the "Upload clipboard image" function.
I have found a plugin that works that allows you to rotate them so I will install it when I get chance :)
Bikeridr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Norway

Post by Bikeridr »

Stu wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:11 pm
jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:37 am Just teasing about the upside down pictures. I don't know why that happened.
@wolfman, Don't feel like you did anything incorrectly that resulted in the 180° rotation. I have had pictures displayed with a 90° rotation. I couldn't figure it why so asked about it in the forum help. @Stu responded that it is a known forum software issue. I assume the same bug bit you, just multiplied by two. The only workaround I came up with was to remove the picture files and replace them with picture screen snips using the "Upload clipboard image" function.
I have found a plugin that works that allows you to rotate them so I will install it when I get chance :)
Hello, @Stu
Depending on which plugin you've found, please check that it is compatible withe your other plugins/extensions.
I am running one of the largest MC forums in Norway (and a slightly newer version than you). The image rotation plugin I tried, wreaked havoc with the page count in "newest topics".

When it comes to "weird" orientation on posted images, it mostly is d.t the way the "image taking unit" writes meta data to the taken image. Most dedicated cameras writes proper meta data which is interpreted correctly by the forum software and orients them correctly. Android and Iphone does not fully write compatible meta data. Albeit, I've noticed that in Android 12 have an option of "rotate" in gallery view on my phone. When using this, the image will be displayed and oriented correctly when uploaded to the forum.
Please take the above as "helpful info" and not criticism :)
Bikeridr
'11 Yamaha FJR 1300A, '19 Kawasaki Versys-X 300, Garmin Zümo XT, ATGATT
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Bikeridr wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:21 am
Stu wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Hello, @Stu
Depending on which plugin you've found, please check that it is compatible withe your other plugins/extensions.
I am running one of the largest MC forums in Norway (and a slightly newer version than you). The image rotation plugin I tried, wreaked havoc with the page count in "newest topics".

When it comes to "weird" orientation on posted images, it mostly is d.t the way the "image taking unit" writes meta data to the taken image. Most dedicated cameras writes proper meta data which is interpreted correctly by the forum software and orients them correctly. Android and Iphone does not fully write compatible meta data. Albeit, I've noticed that in Android 12 have an option of "rotate" in gallery view on my phone. When using this, the image will be displayed and oriented correctly when uploaded to the forum.
Please take the above as "helpful info" and not criticism :)
Thanks for the heads up

Although you can't be on a newer version than me! This is the latest and fully upto date software :?

There is only one plugin and it seems to work fine although a little clunky

Yes it's an issue with the meta data and the way the software handles it when it re sizes the image! It strips the meta data which causes it to lose the orientation

If I remove resizing it all works fine but the images are huge and take over the page which is not ideal