Transferring Routes from Base Camp to XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
GRC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Transferring Routes from Base Camp to XT

Post by GRC »

Suddenly when I transfer route plans from Base Camp to my Garmin, I get a message saying "route(s) sent to zumo XT were recalculated because they (sic) was created on a map that is not installed on that device" I have been using Base Camp for a long time and all worked fine. I have CN NA NT 2024.1 installed on both my computer and XT. I'm also getting an error message on my PC "There was a problem communicating with zumo XT, an error occurred while reading the following files.....

gpx/archive/16 gpx
gpx/archive/17 gpx

I plan a turn by turn trip on Base Camp and when it transfers to my XT I get the message mentioned above and the imported route is totally messed up. Both maps (PC & XT) have been updated.

No settings on either my Base Camp or XT have been changed. Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated. Greg.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Transferring Routes from Base Camp to XT

Post by jfheath »

First cold reboot your XT. Long press the power switch 'til you are asked to turn it off, then restart it. Then reconnect your USB cable. Try again,

Basecamp: Edit / Options / Device Transfer. Untick all check boxes. Apply to all devices.

Recalculate your route first, then try again.

-----

16.gpx and 17.gpx are archive track logs.

You will find copies of them in the hidden .System area - if you want to keep your track logs.
If you haven't turned the system folder visibility on, then you need to do so
Enter the system diagnostic pages. LOng press the circular speedo (10 secs) after slecting map, speed button.
Config & Settings->MTP Settings->Show .System->Tick Then back out of the system diagnostic area.
The copies are called DriveLog16.gpx and DriveLog17.gpx - they are in a subfolder - GPX/Archive.
Copy these two files into Internal Storeage/GPX/Archive

In the Internal Storage/GPX folder (not the .System folder)
Rename 16.gpx to old16.gpx and rename 17.gpx to old17.gpx

Rename DriveLog16.gpx to 16.gpx
Rename DriveLog17.gpx to 17.gpx

Copy Old16 and old17.gpx to your computer.
Delete Old16.gpx and old17.gpx from the Archive Folder
Unplug the usb and let the XT restart.

Then cold reboot it again. Long press the power switch til you are prompted to turn it off. Then restart.

See if that works.

-----------
Failing that, copy all of the numbered gpx files in Archive and currenttracklog.gpx from the GPX folder - put them safe on your computer if you want to keep them.

Then perform a reset: Settings->Device->Reset->Clear Travel History.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
GRC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by GRC »

Thanks JF, I will give that a try. I did reset all my settings on the XT which of course erased all my data. I did plan a route then on base camp and it successfully transferred to my XT. I did then try to transfer one of the many saved routes I have on base camp and it did the same thing (didn't give me any error messages, just said it had to reconfigure route on XT as the maps were different). Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Did you recalculate your route before you transferred it?

Check that every route point is placed on a road.

if you select the route to open the route dialogue box, tick the 'Center Map' box at the bottom, then click (or down arrow) to select each point in the list. The map will zoom in on that point and place it centre screen. Its a very quick and easy check. Do it with the map in at least medium detail.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

It might just be a typo in your original message, but I think you find that the XT uses 'NTU' maps.

I have 2 Garmin gps units & the old Montana uses 'NT' maps.

Are you sure you are using the correct map on Basecamp prior to transferring the route?
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

simoncrewe wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:23 am It might just be a typo in your original message, but I think you find that the XT uses 'NTU' maps.

I have 2 Garmin gps units & the old Montana uses 'NT' maps.

Are you sure you are using the correct map on Basecamp prior to transferring the route?
I'll just inject here,
I have my XT in hand, map details shows "CN North America NT 2024.10 ALL US"
My Basecamp listings also show "City Navigator North America NT 2024.1"

I did a bit of looking on Garmins website, it appears that the NTU maps are only offered for Europe and Africa, not available for North America.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Correct. NTU doesn't apply to CN NA maps
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

You might want to try changing the map name on the Zumo to end in .10

Way back in the old days that difference between the two endings was enough to cause a mismatch error. IIRC, I used one of the JaVaWa programs to change the map name endings
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

Oops, I'm sorry I should have said "Basecamp" for the map name change, not Zumo
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

JaVaWa's Device Manager program allows you to change map names so they match the name in BaseCamp.