XT2 Removing Stubborn Waypoints

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 117 times
United States of America

Re: XT2 Removing Stubborn Waypoints

Post by lkraus »

All of my GPS devices have "remembered" their location at the time they were turned off. That can greatly speed up obtaining a location fix when they are turned back on, or slow it if you carried the unit somewhere else while powered off.

But I've not seen it used an automatic parking place locator, or ever heard of it appearing as a waypoint. A new feature of the XT2?
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Info is here https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=d ... F4qDYBz7B8 but interestingly if you enter XT2 it says it doesn't apply!

That being the case I'm very confused as 001.gpx has always been the last parking spot on my Garmin devices, but I don't have a XT2.
dhwalt
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by dhwalt »

Peobody wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:59 pm I don't own an XT2 but was curious about this "parking place" thing so pulled up the manual for the XT2. I can not find a mention of "parking place" nor did I find anything that gave a clue about it. Is it solely used for satellite location based on the assumption that you are turning the device on at the same point where you last turned it off?
"Parking place" i.e. the blue flag 001, is a phrase to best describe one of the Zumo features and nothing to do with Garmin. The Zumo models use Parking locations in the sense that it is usually understood.

For me the Map Vehicle Icon and "Parking place" do much the same thing but keep in mind that "Parking place" is only visible when the Zumo and Basecamp are connected - "Parking place" is not visible on the Zumo as a standalone device. Garmin have a preference for complicated! Sitting at home with the XT2 and my iMac connected by a USB C cable then:

On My Computer - My Collection - List: My Home location used for routing is visible but NO 001 blue flag.
Zumo XT2 - All Maps - All routes: Again my Home is visible and in proximity YES a 001 blue flag.

The Home location is a fixed point defined by its coordinates but 001 is a GPS fix and as such is never in the same place twice. In my case 001 can be coincident with Home or in the next door field or ? depending on signal strength etc.

Q.Have I ever found a use for 001?
A. In 16 years with Garmin Zumo type devices I have never used it but would be interested to hear of any possibilities!

Edit
Have just seen the 001.gpx comment. The XT2 uses 001 as a waypoint and is not part of the user parking functionality. sussamb - thanks for the gpx comment which I can confirm is the case - no last parking - the XT2 has Search - Categories - Parking which lists available parking locations in a 1.5 mile radius.

Correction - 001 is a Waypoint and not a GPS fix. From Basecamp it can be used to build routes on the Zumo (transfer to Zumo as temp.gpx). Even after clearing GPXs + Edits + restarts then 001 is persistent.