Do I trust this map update?

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
waspanman
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Do I trust this map update?

Post by waspanman »

I have just updated my second 660 to 2024.1 with the map segment offered by Garmin express north western Europe, (which did not appear as an option last time I updated in June) i.e. United kingdom, Ireland, France Spain and Portugal. I was about to load the missing elements via mapinstall, but just out of curiosity and to see where the map became unusable, I put in a route to Vienna, as it is quicker than waiting for the map screen to fill in, and it seems to have calculated it no problem.
All the street names appear to be there along the route and the level of detail compares well with my other unit.
Should I need to load further?
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: Do I trust this map update?

Post by Les »

I would zoom in to the destination to see how much detail it shows.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

I did that on both units, the first one I updated to 2024.1 for a trip to France 2 weeks ago with all of the rest of Europe loaded via Mapinstall and compared the differences in level of detail and found none.
The master segment for the first unit was North Eastern Europe i.e Poland and some surrounding areas the second as I said was North Western Europe with no further additions.
Both units were at 2023.2 previously
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

Sort of thing I do to get all the maps I want, sounds like you're good to go.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

Fortunately I always carry a spare unit, now I have the XT as well, I should be OK
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

Update on the update:
When I connected my second 660 to Express, I was pleased to find North West Europe offered as the segment of the European map as mentioned in previous post.
However, when I reconnected the first 660 I updated for the second time, I was expecting the same segment, as they are both the same series of unit.
I was perplexed to find North eastern Europe (Poland with options for Turkey or Germany) still the only options being offered, very odd!
Same units, different options?? :?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Which portion is offered will depend on how much free space Express finds on your device so its certainly possible that different options would be offered on similar devices.