Cardo PackTalk Edge Duo - Setup for use with XT and a phone.

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Cardo PackTalk Edge Duo - Setup for use with XT and a phone.

Post by jfheath »

I've updated the pdf with a few minor changes to describe how to get Hey Google to work.

You also have to remove the restrictions on the phone to allow 'Hey Google' to work when the save screen is on and when the lock screen is on.

I've seen advertised an app for iphones that makes them behave like Androids......

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm I've seen advertised an app for iphones that makes them behave like Androids......
I'm in a conundrum now. I like my iPhone but the capability that you and Stu have would be nice. So, to I go down the rabbit hole of trying to find the app of which you speak or leave well enough alone. It is Thursday afternoon here and I leave on my next trip on Saturday morning so I'll have plenty of time to think about it while I ride.

There is the possibility that you are just teasing me though. That's two conundrums!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Let me solve the problem for you. No I wasn't teasing, but neither did I look at it seriously.

Just assume that the programmers that wrote the app to make your iphone look like the Android, employ the same rigorous design, planning and testing as some others that we have come across recently.

Does that helpy you to make up your mind ? :lol:

Recalculate your routes, create tracks for each, save them all to the XT card. Save them to another formatted XT card as a security, or email them to your phone.

If all goes wrong, you have a track to follow and the Zumo cannot alter anything on the card or your phone or your spare card.

Have a brilliant trip - and don't think about anything other than staying safe and enjoying the journey.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:54 pm Have a brilliant trip - and don't think about anything other than staying safe and enjoying the journey.
Thank you John. Safe and Fun are always the intents...
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
raesewell
Been liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Probably jfheath is the man to answer this question. I have the Zumo XT and have just bought a Packtalk Edge. I have it all set up and everything is working except the "OK Google" function which I can live without. So the question is, what are the implications of pairing the XT to the Edge as a GPS and let the Edge take care of phone calls and music and I assume the "OK Google" function would work. Have you tried it?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I think - but I am not sure, that OK Google worked with the setup that I describe.. difficult to say because I was working at my desk, so it could have picked up the sound of my voice rather than the sound from cardo.

To make ok google work, the phone has to allow voice input when the lock screen is on which opens up security issues.

You can set the XT as a GPS so the basic phone/ voice function won't be passed to the XT. This puts the cardo is the centre of things. Some people prefer this but I have never tried it. I like the phone to display the info on the screen. The xt needs the data connection from the phone but that can be managed from the xt setup.

raesewell
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Thank you for your reply, as I said I am happy with the set up as it is but the curiosity in me might just experiment with the pairing as a GPS just for the heck of it. I would have to make a note of how things are paired at the moment so I can get back to where I am.

As for the OK Google I think the phone must have been picking up your voice. I tried it by leaving the phone in one room and going into another room with the door shut and the OK Google didn't work. As said I can live without OK Google.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@raesewell I don't have the edge but I have the packtalk bold

But the hey google doesn't work on the fly just by saying it on mine you have to press the lower phone button once then it works

Maybe the edge is the same

But i don't believe it will work through the XT it has to be phone to headset

Be warned though if you have a samsung phone with bixby then pressing the button may well enable bixby instead of google! I had ti dissable bixby to stop that happening and change the defaults to google
raesewell
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Thanks Stu, I'll have a play around with it and as far as Bixby goes I disabled it ages ago, it got on my nerves :)

My main reason for the whole question was to find out if there was any loss of functionality from the XT that cannot be handled by the Edge.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Rae it really depends on what you actually want to do with it all

For me I just receive calls if its important! So I connect my headset straight to the phone for calls and my phone says who is calling when connected to a bluetooth headset

If I want to make calls I stop and fiddle with it rather than try while riding