Having a Great Garmin Route

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Min
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Having a Great Garmin Route

Post by Min »

Most people have found that Garmin Routing takes on its own mind during a ride even after putting loads of Shaping Points.
After looking at loads of other peoples work I have combinded and tested a process that saves the need to install loads of shaping points in a route just the places of Interest (POI).

The way of setting up makes the GPS follow your planned route and announce the POI you have placed in the route, you can divert and it will easily rejoin or take you to a section, then rejoin. Even it can take you back to the start same or alternative route and restart again.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. There is a PDF version with a step by step guide with a zip file of Garmin Map Themes

Min G0JMS
Attachments
Garmin Zumo Themes.rar
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Test of Garmin Routing and Trails 2.1.pdf
Step by Step Guide - Have a good ride
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Having a Great Garmin Route

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for this @Min and welcome !

The track and route technique is a good one to use. Well documented on these pages.

I've just reinstated the pdf version of a document that you might like to read.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... 3205#p3205

Also in a different thread you provided a pdf and a rar file. I've read the pdf but can't study the rar file yet, but I will when I get to my pc.

You mentioned issues with MRA formats. This link to pages on here describe the different MRA export formats and they apply equally to all later Zumos.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P72

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Min
Great Britain

Post by Min »

Thanks for the reply and I will take a look at the links... after years of fighting the garmin routing ways from the 550 to XT I was suprised that somethiong had not be really published.
I came across a couple of videos and put 2+2 and made 5.
If I have reinvented the wheel so be it..
I'll have a look.

Min G0JMS
Min
Great Britain

Post by Min »

Hi John

Thanks for the very detailed PDF file and the link to the good Basecamp Videos and wish I had found them much earlier...

The details is my document show how to resize the Theme and change the colours to make them indivual and how to import or open the track anbd then run the route together which keeps the route following the track as you discribe. Thus stopping the Zumo's going walkabout (off Route) and following the designed track.

I don't know if this is possible on the XT2 which seems to have issues with apps and things, dropping waypoints during transfer within the apps and it's putting me off getting one with the issues seen. So may stick with the 590, 595 and the XT collection I have.

Many thanks Min G0JMS
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Hi @Min . Thanks for the pdf file and for your efforts. Showing a track on the map while running a route is a well documented trick, as @jfheath mentioned. The purpose for doing so is to expose any changes made to a route by a recalculation. You seem to indicate that your method prevents the route from being changed by a recalc however your process doesn't appear any different from running a route with its track displayed on the map. Am I missing something?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Min
Great Britain

Post by Min »

Hi Peobody yes its just documented way of making it work, if you go off route it will and can take you back and pick up the route/track again. This is nothing that I have invented its just putting many peoples things together and finding it works.
I did a many crossover test first time starting from the same spot expecting it to say your here... but it followed the track and route telling me each time I arrived at a waypoint (No. of a house or road name or pub/bar) I crossed over several roads 3-4 times and it kept to the route.
I know it can be done as a track but no announcements.
So by combining the 2 and increasing the size of track in the themes I got both an announced route and it didn't go off doing its own thing. I only had to put in some waypoints and the track did track did the shaping points. It was too easy and its worked for the last 4 weeks of using this method of bringing in the track and then the route...
I know it works on the 590, 595 and XT...

I use BC but anything that can convert a route into a track before it recalculates the route would do. But I don't know about announcements as I found MRA only said "Waypoint" as you got near.

Hope this helps and give it a try... let me know what you find out.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Min wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:58 pm Hope this helps and give it a try... let me know what you find out.
I reviewed that .pdf again and do not see anything different from what I have been doing other than using a custom theme. Is it possible that a custom theme could prevent recalcs?
Early on in my XT experience I tested custom themes with wider track paths but I didn't like them, especially after realizing that it doesn't make a difference whether the track is visible under the route. When a recalc changes the route, the track becomes visible wherever the route deviates (provided it is a different color). That is the only part of the track that is important. At the time, I wasn't giving a thought to recalc prevention.

I hope someone sees something that I am missing.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:19 pm
I reviewed that .pdf again and do not see anything different from what I have been doing other than using a custom theme. Is it possible that a custom theme could prevent recalcs?
Early on in my XT experience I tested custom themes with wider track paths but I didn't like them, especially after realizing that it doesn't make a difference whether the track is visible under the route. When a recalc changes the route, the track becomes visible wherever the route deviates (provided it is a different color). That is the only part of the track that is important. At the time, I wasn't giving a thought to recalc prevention.

I hope someone sees something that I am missing.
A map theme only affects the display, not routing.

I can travel quite long distance without looking at the screen. I find it reassuring to see the black track peeking out from under the magenta route because I know I'm still on the planned track and did not leave it while I was not looking.