Dusted off the 660.

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Dusted off the 660.

Post by jfheath »

I wonder if the issue is to do with the lifetime maps?

When I had a 550 it came with about 3 different codes to unlock maps. I bought a lifetime map licence, but still had to use the codes.

When my 550 packed in, I paid the £150 repair fee and they sent me a brand new 660. That was a Zumo 660 LM and it came with lifetime maps, so no need for codes any more. But I got the impression that not all 660s were LM versions.

That may be a wrong impression that I formed - i don't know - but since you mentioned licence codes I thought .......

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ScramblerChris
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

I'm pretty certain that it is. Garmin I suppose thought that they had to continue to fulfil their obligations for those with lifetime maps but for those without they could just pull the plug.

Mine's just a 660. I was probably given the option for lifetime maps when I bought it but didn't subscribe thinking I'd upgrade when needed. As I said Ive missed the boat on that and dont think there is anyway of updating the map on it now.

But for rides in the UK I'm not that bothered but would like to get Mapsource working if I can. Even that isn't the end of the world as I can use Basecamp as I've done before.

Just need to do some reading with regards to what the issues are around waypoints etc.

Thanks.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Installed the map Europe NT 2012 2012.10 from my original DVD onto my PC.

Map has been picked up by both Mapsource and Basecamp but I can't unlock it as the option given to do this on online and this basically goes nowhere. I have the Product Key and Unlock Code.
Bear
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Bear »

It might be worth looking at alternative maps. Try https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/ for free and legal mapping.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks Bear but I couldn't really find anything suitable.

Turns out the map was an earlier version than the one on the 660 and so I've removed it from my PC. So it looks like my only option is using Basecamp with the device attached. No hardship and at least I can still use the 660 and produce routes.

Thanks yet again for all the comments and advice. I shall now apply myself to Basecamp.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hopefully you can. Let us know how you get on.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

One of several reasons I retired my 660LM and bought an XT is that it refused to do the latest CN NA map update properly. Despite having plenty of room (junk removed from internal storage and a big SD card), it refused to load more than a portion of the US no matter what I did. The previous map that was being updated had all of N. America, incl. Canada and Mexico, so it wasn't a size issue. It made me wonder if something in the newest map versions doesn't play nice with the 660?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

danham wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:29 pm One of several reasons I retired my 660LM and bought an XT is that it refused to do the latest CN NA map update properly. Despite having plenty of room (junk removed from internal storage and a big SD card), it refused to load more than a portion of the US no matter what I did. The previous map that was being updated had all of N. America, incl. Canada and Mexico, so it wasn't a size issue. It made me wonder if something in the newest map versions doesn't play nice with the 660?

-dan
I occasionally have problems with lots of space but Express saying there's not enough..

However it's very easily overcome by loading the maps first to Mapsource/Basecamp (which would be done anyway), then loading whatever maps I can with Express, and the rest using Mapinstall.

I have to say there's no way I'd swap my trusty 660 for an XT after reading all the issues folk seem to have.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Les:

One reason for calling the 660 “trusty” (and I did) is that I got used to its quirks. I’m making good progress doing the same with the XT. It served me very well on a recent 3000-mile ride and its bright screen, weather and traffic features put it head & shoulders above the 660. Best of all, it plays a lot nicer with Basecamp than the 660, which once in a while would absolutely and unexpectedly butcher a pre-planned route.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Les wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:52 am I occasionally have problems with lots of space but Express saying there's not enough..

However it's very easily overcome by loading the maps first to Mapsource/Basecamp (which would be done anyway), then loading whatever maps I can with Express, and the rest using Mapinstall.

I have to say there's no way I'd swap my trusty 660 for an XT after reading all the issues folk seem to have.
That's fine with earlier models like the 660 but for later models a 'map update' does more than simply update the map, so it's not a good idea generally.