How would you emphasize a mandatory fuel stop?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

How would you emphasize a mandatory fuel stop?

Post by Peobody »

While working on creating the routes for an upcoming trip I noticed that there is a stretch of 120 miles without fuel. My co-riders normally don't plan their fuel stops but I want to include one with emphasis before that stretch especially since we will have ridden 130 miles before hitting that stretch. What technique would you use to create emphasis? Satnavs will be an XT, a Nav VI, and a Montana.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Re: How would you emphasize a mandatory fuel stop?

Post by colirv »

Won't an announced waypoint be sufficient? Perhaps you could drag the route onto the forecourt if that's shown on the map.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:46 pm Won't an announced waypoint be sufficient?
One consideration is that none of us ride with spoken navigation enabled. A bigger concern is that we won't be low of fuel at the time we reach that waypoint. My riding buddies don't think that there as any reason to plan fuel stops so I want to minimize the chance of anyone riding by thinking they'll get fuel when they get low. I am thinking of naming the waypoint "Last fuel for 120 miles". I'm going to run a simulation and see what that looks like.

Edit: Simulation run. That name is displayed clearly enough on my XT to serve the purpose.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:27 pm
colirv wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:46 pm Won't an announced waypoint be sufficient?
One consideration is that none of us ride with spoken navigation enabled. A bigger concern is that we won't be low of fuel at the time we reach that waypoint. My riding buddies don't think that there as any reason to plan fuel stops so I want to minimize the chance of anyone riding by thinking they'll get fuel when they get low. I am thinking of naming the waypoint "Last fuel for 120 miles". I'm going to run a simulation and see what that looks like.

Edit: Simulation run. That name is displayed clearly enough on my XT to serve the purpose.
I think I'd also point it out to everyone prior to leaving out for the day and again at each stop like, "now, don't forget...."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:41 pm
Peobody wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:27 pm

I think I'd also point it out to everyone prior to leaving out for the day and again at the stop prior like, "now, don't forget...."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:41 pm I think I'd also point it out to everyone prior to leaving out for the day and again at each stop like, "now, don't forget...."
I'll need the reminder. The trip isn't until the end of July and this particular issue is on day three.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you :

Create a Waypoint a mile ahead. I mean a proper WAYPOINT created with the BC flag tool, which then gets transferred to The XT 'Favourite' or 'Saved' locations, and call it "Fuel Alert". and another at the filling station called "Last Fuel for 120 miles"

Make both points a Via Point. Announcing.

The message banner, and the spoken message will both say:

Approaching Fuel Alert
Arriving at Fuel Alert on the left

and then

Approaching Last Fuel for 120 Miles
Arriving at Last Fuel for 120 Miles on the right.

The use of the words left and right seems random to me if the point is placed on the route.

The points MUST be created as Waypoints, as the XT and maybe the 595 will probably change the name given to any other sort of route point. This may mean that you have to use BaseCamp to create the route as very few other routing programs use genuine Garmin Waypoints.

MRA and many other routing programs use the word 'Waypoint' but non of their routes actually create a saved Garmin Waypoint - so the name is likely to change.

I had observed at one time that MRA route points did not have their name changed, and concluded that this had something to do with the Subclass entry in the MRA gpx file. But i never proved it conclusively for all situations, and the fact that it doesn't create Waypoints that get transferred to favourites leaves me with some doubt about that.

I dont know how a Montana treats Via Points.

The other alternative is to give them two routes, the first one ending at the filling station. The second one starting at the exit from the filling station. Meet up before the exit and remind them to load the next route, and which destination to select.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:06 am I had observed at one time that MRA route points did not have their name changed, and concluded that this had something to do with the Subclass entry in the MRA gpx file. But i never proved it conclusively for all situations....
I can confirm that that has to do with the <subclass> . Via and Shaping points that have either no <subclasses> or the special value '0000000ffffff' don't get renamed.