Creating A Track Or Route For The Paul Bunyan State Trail

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Jim1348
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Jim1348 »

Now that I am getting a bit more experience with my Garmin Zumo XT, I am thinking of creating a route or track for a future e-bike ride on the Paul Bunyan State Trail.

I did read somewhere recently that a track is better than a route for a trail, but I don't recall exactly why. Should I consider Garmin Base Camp, Garmin Explore or something else for creating this?

Also, I was able to create a route in Google Maps that kept me on the Paul Bunyan State Trail. Is there a way to convert the Google Maps route to a Garmin Track? If so, how do I do it?

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_trail ... index.html
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Re: Creating A Track Or Route For The Paul Bunyan State Trail

Post by Iris »

A track is better only because it doesn’t recalculate, so it won’t accidentally shift you around. It’s also able to take you through water crossings and areas that a route will not take you.
The track will not announce any directions. It simply lays still on the map.
A route is better in that it can give you turn by turn directions and an eta and distances to your next waypoint, etc.
I usually use BaseCamp to create a route. Once I am finished with my route, I click on the route (in BC) and ask to create a track from the route.
I upload both of those to the gps unit.
In the gps, I make sure the track is visible. I have a 590, so I have to select to “show it on map”.
This way, the track and the route are sandwiched on top of each other. If the route accidentally recalculates, you can see the track.

I’m not sure how this all works on the XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Iris wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:09 pm I’m not sure how this all works on the XT.
I works the same.
Jim1348 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:46 pm Also, I was able to create a route in Google Maps that kept me on the Paul Bunyan State Trail. Is there a way to convert the Google Maps route to a Garmin Track? If so, how do I do it?
I don't know of a way. I often create a route in Google Maps and then manually duplicate it in BaseCamp. I don't ride offroad so I can't speak to how BaseCamp works for that.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Jim1348 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:46 pm Also, I was able to create a route in Google Maps that kept me on the Paul Bunyan State Trail. Is there a way to convert the Google Maps route to a Garmin Track? If so, how do I do it?
You can convet a .kml file to a .gpx file using the JaVaWa RTWTool. https://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html

@Peobody
In fact that tool can do a lot...
Jim1348
United States of America

Post by Jim1348 »

Iris, thank you very much for the reply. That makes sense to me and is very helpful.

What I will probably end up doing is simply creating a few waypoints (POIs/Points Of Interest) ahead of time. Knowing where to park my pickup truck is usually the first place to start. Then, having some POIs along the route can be helpful. For example, a place to stop for a meal that is reasonably close to the trail or even just a place to take a break and get water or other items.

The southern half of the trail passes through the cities of Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Pine River and Hackensack.

Most of the northern portion, between Walker and Bemidji, is more secluded.
Jim1348
United States of America

Post by Jim1348 »

FrankB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:10 pm
You can convet a .kml file to a .gpx file using the JaVaWa RTWTool. https://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html

@Peobody
In fact that tool can do a lot...
I will look into that.

Thank you!
Jim1348
United States of America

Post by Jim1348 »

My wife and I did a bike ride Saturday on the Root River State Trail. We started at Lanesboro and Rode to Rushford Minnesota. I used the My Route App to create a track on the bicycle trail. I was then able to send it to my Garmin Zumo XT. I used Garmin Explore to follow the track.

I also read that Garmin Explore can convert a track to a route. Will that keep me on the off-road trail and not try to place me on a nearby road?

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... BC664.html

https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab