Zumo XT mount & charging issues

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT mount & charging issues

Post by ib12 »

I've done just that. I've now wired it to the battery instead of the aux plug and it charges. I'll just have to remember to turn it off each time or remove it from the mount so's not to flatten the battery.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

ib12 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:20 pm I've done just that. I've now wired it to the battery instead of the aux plug and it charges. I'll just have to remember to turn it off each time or remove it from the mount so's not to flatten the battery.
Glad you found the answer. I haven’t done this for the XT, but results from tests of a zumo 660 should be similar. Biggest draw on the battery (obviously) is GPS powered on. Least is empty mount. There is a tiny draw from the mount, but it would take many weeks or months parked to kill a healthy battery. It is less than what your computer and clock draw when parked. In between is GPS mounted but off. My 660 would charge when off in the mount, which could kill the bike battery overnight or sooner, so fine for a lunch stop, not for parked overnight.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

ib12 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:53 pm I also have a charging issue when connected to mount, it goes straight to battery mode. If I connect via USB it charges. The mount is wired to an ignition live connector and the 3rd pin on the mount is showing 5.14v when ignition on. I went into the diagnostic screen (see below) and see that when plugged in to a USB it says it's connected to the garmin mount which it wasn't it was my PC and shows that there is no USB cable detected. When connected to the mount it shows no connection whatsoever and uses battery. The only thing I've not been able to do is try it in another mount.
How do you get into the diagnostic screen?
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sprint wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:13 pm
ib12 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:53 pm I also have a charging issue when connected to mount, it goes straight to battery mode. If I connect via USB it charges. The mount is wired to an ignition live connector and the 3rd pin on the mount is showing 5.14v when ignition on. I went into the diagnostic screen (see below) and see that when plugged in to a USB it says it's connected to the garmin mount which it wasn't it was my PC and shows that there is no USB cable detected. When connected to the mount it shows no connection whatsoever and uses battery. The only thing I've not been able to do is try it in another mount.
How do you get into the diagnostic screen?
One way of getting to the battery / power one is by pressing the battery icon for about 10 seconds.