Learning and using Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Learning and using Basecamp

Post by rbentnail »

tojjer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 pm I find BC so complicated.
Been using tyre2travel, and more recently Myrouteapp to plan a route, save the gpx files and import it to BC to check if it will match up on the Garmin.
Long winded I know, but BC really confuses me, and I almost get a route planned and mess it up cos I forget to click the hand to move the map and land up putting extra points everywhere instead.

Why didn't Gaarmin ever do a "simple" version for us people that wanna just plan a simple route
I used to mess it up all the time until I discovered another way: don't make a route! Really, it works:

Pick your start point, pick your end point and let BaseCamp make the route. Now MODIFY the route to be what you want it to be. There's two ways I know of to MODIFY a route, I use the first one.

First way: in my tool bar I added the INSERT, MOVE and ERASE tools. I use them to MODIFY my route. I learned this from the newenglandriders BaseCamp tutorial. There's a link around here someplace.

Second way: another member here suggested using the route drag & drop method by hovering over your route and using the ALT key. It may be easier but I never knew of it so it's foreign to me.

Seriously, try it this way. It's what made making routes with Base Camp sensible for me.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I really am thick, how do I let BC create the route? On mine, it just shoves a straight line between the points.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

There's different ways to do it--this is easy. Decide where you want to start and make it a Waypoint, decide where you want to finish, make that a Waypoint. Select the New route tool, click on the start waypoint then click on the end waypoint--BC does the rest (hopefully) :)
If you go back to the first page of this topic I posted a link to You Tube which I found was most helpful. Hope this helps :idea:
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

What do you have installed for maps? This sounds like you don't have a routable map installed. That would explain a lot of your frustration.
tojjer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 pm I really am thick, how do I let BC create the route? On mine, it just shoves a straight line between the points.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Or you have direct activity selected. Ensure you have the automotive activity selected.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I've got the city navigator NTU 2019.1
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

tojjer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am I've got the city navigator NTU 2019.1
yes but when you are planning a route in basecamp at the top you have an "activity profile".Note that mine is "driving shortest".If you cant see that activity profile click on view/toolbars and make sure activity profiles is ticked.If yours is set to direct that may be the reason you are getting straight lines
Attachments
activity.jpg
activity.jpg (147.39 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

the insert point tool is the same as alt click drag aka "the rubber band"
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Well, took on all the advice and planned a route as per the elastic band method. Went out and it performed faultlessly.
That's the first time I haven't had the Garmin try and reroute me directly to the end destination. I even made the start and the end very close to see if it did it.
Have to admit, I put in absolutely loads of shaping points along the way, and it did my head in a bit hearing it saying I had arrived at "such and such".
Is there a way to not have it do that on every shaping point? EDIT: SCRUB THAT, FOUND IT WITHIN THE RIGHT CLICK
Secondly, it did ask me to do a U turn at one point, but looking closely at the map afterwards, I couldn't see any reason for that as all the arrows along the route were going the right way. I couldn't see anywhere I had clicked on the wrong side of a dual carriageway or anything like that, and it didn't deviate from the programmed route at all.

So, I will stick at it with BC, and try to perfect it a little better. It just baffles me why Google maps works so easily, and BC has to be so darn complicated
Thank you very much for putting up with my "silly" questions, hopefully we got there in the end.
I also watched this which was quite easy to follow:
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

I find it's easier to do the initial planning on MyRoute using Google maps, and Streetview, then export, open in BC and check it's all on the right roads (it usually needs a tweak or two) before sending to the Zumo.
MyRoute also allows you to automatically add points along the route, which I turn to 'unannounced' in BC.