Weird Routing Behaviour - Major Success.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Weird Routing Behaviour - Major Success.

Post by FrankB »

pcdabbler wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 am Im really grateful to the efforts of eveyone on here to solve this issue
You're welcome
pcdabbler wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 am Last year I went off piste twice and around in circles because of temporary road closures.
I like to check for road closures in Google Maps: viewtopic.php?t=1965
pcdabbler wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 am At least we now have a workaround.
A Java program is now available, I invite you to test it and report your findings: viewtopic.php?t=2301
pcdabbler
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by pcdabbler »

Thanks for that Frank, I've already edited all trip files this morning though using HxD and all now show as saved trips, so cannot try the little program unfortunately !
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@jfheath - when you are contacting your contact person at Garmin, you can maybe tell him, that the RUT problem is not(!) exclusively with the Zumo XT! I had a user in the German Naviboard, which has confirmed, that also on the DriveSmart65 he was confronted with the RUT problem just a few weeks ago - he could only solve it by stopping the route, starting it again and choosing another via-point along the route to start!

After my posting about this problem and how to overcome this for now, he checked his DriveSmart65 and the directory structure is nearly identical to the Zumo XT, also all imported and saved routes are in the 'Trips' folder and contain the same structure as on 'our' Zumo XT - he changed successfully the file but isn't able too test it by now.

So for me it seems, that all newer android-based navigation units from Garmin will suffer this problem - will be interesting to hear, if Zumo XT2 and the Threads are also affected and from Garmin, if this is not a fault!?
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Many thanks @Rofor

Yes I will mention that as soon as they get back in touch again. I have a promise for this week.

Question - do you know anyone with access to a 590 or 595 ? I gave mine to my brother as I was only using it for answering queries i=on this forum, and he didn't have one for his new-to-him motorbike.

What I want to know is whether the 590/595 display the routes with Saved Trip and Imported Trip as their headings. I suspect not because I seem to remember them being sorted by date order. Past trips/ future trips.

I am suspecting that they didn't and that this is a new behaviour as a result of having tracks that can be used for navigation. THey would have to be imported. And the RUT routes behave very much like Trips converted from tracks - when you deviate from them. I think someone has had their eye on one thing and not thought about the consequences to norml Trips / Routes which are also imported. The fact that they gave two very different things the same name 'Trip' is a bit of a clue, I think.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

I already have my old 590 (flashed to 59x) and i will try it tomorrow, sadly have no more time today - please tell me exactly want you want to do me with it, should be no problem!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I have a 590 and it gives no option to "save" a trip, even if you remove a "location" from an imported one.

I also have a 396 and it does allow me to "save" a trip. Then it becomes a child of the original imported route, where in the "Imported trip's the trip name now has a > and selecting that shows the original imported and also the "saved" trip.

Edit, the 396 also likes faster roads, just like the XT, but doesn't go into the RUT routine with imported routes with a via / waypoint.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

UPDATE: The online hex editor https://hexed.it/ will do batches of files fairly efficiently. I just opened 14 of them at once and after a quick edit on each can save it, close its window and move on to the next.

Once I got into the swing of things it took about 15 seconds per route to change from Imported to Saved.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Rofor wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:22 pm I already have my old 590 (flashed to 59x) and i will try it tomorrow, sadly have no more time today - please tell me exactly want you want to do me with it, should be no problem!
Oh thanks !

Have at lease one route created using trip planner on the 595. Call it something imaginative like "XT Route".
Have at least one route on the 595 that has been transferred from Basecamp, and has then been imported. Call it "BC Route".

Select Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips. The XT shows a couple of black 'headers' across the list. One above the 'Saved Trips' and another above 'Imported Trips' Scroll down to see what the 595 has please. Where are XT Route and BC Route located in the list ? Under what Banners ?

Many thanks.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

danham wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 pm UPDATE: The online hex editor https://hexed.it/ will do batches of files fairly efficiently. I just opened 14 of them at once and after a quick edit on each can save it, close its window and move on to the next.

Once I got into the swing of things it took about 15 seconds per route to change from Imported to Saved.
That is REALLY slick! I then discovered that you can do the same with HxD. HxD is actually a touch easier (IMHO) due to it prepopulating the filename when doing SaveAs. It is a shame that there isn't an HxD version for Mac's.

Thanks @danham.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Peobody wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:39 pm
danham wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 pm UPDATE: The online hex editor https://hexed.it/ will do batches of files fairly efficiently. I just opened 14 of them at once and after a quick edit on each can save it, close its window and move on to the next.

That is REALLY slick! I then discovered that you can do the same with HxD. HxD is actually a touch easier (IMHO) due to it prepopulating the filename when doing SaveAs. It is a shame that there isn't an HxD version for Mac's.

Thanks @danham.
Glad it was useful. What's great about the online editor is that it doesn't care what kind of computer you use it with. Don't have it open right now, but my recollection is that it did populate the save dialog with the trip filename when you click Export, making it fast and easy to plow through a bunch of files.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE