Question about exporting from BaseCamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Question about exporting from BaseCamp

Post by Peobody »

I am not new to creating routes in BaseCamp, exporting them to a location on C:, and then copying them to an SD card. While doing it just now it struck me that I did not appear to be exporting the selected route but instead was exporting the entire content of the list containing the route. This is based on two observations:
1. When selecting Export, the first option is Export '<listname>'
2. The "Export Selection" option produces the same sized file regardless of what I have selected in list.
Edit: A file comparison shows that only the <time> entry is different in the resulting files.

Am I correct that the entire list content is being exported?

If so, and I have a bunch of waypoints in that list that are not part of the route, are they going to end up in the Saved waypoints list on the XT once that route is imported?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Question about exporting from BaseCamp

Post by rbentnail »

My first question is why are you exporting to C: then copying to an SD card? I leave the card in the XT and drag-and-drop the route directly to it in Base Camp. It shows as User Data.

To your questions- I have not seen as you describe. I often export selection for file sharing via DropBox. As long as I have highlighted one single item that's all that gets exported. I've never created problems for myself looking at file sizes :) .

I can't answer the second question, I have never exported an entire list.

Why don't you export to C", change the name, import to Base Camp and see what you get?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:41 pm My first question is why are you exporting to C: then copying to an SD card?
So that I can control the file names an maintain a meaningful file structure within the \GPX directory on the SD card. For example, I am putting the routes and tracks on the SD card for my upcoming trip to Western PA. The results will be the directory \GPX\Western PA which will contain files named Western PA Day 1, Western PS Day 2, etc. I will never ride this again so I can easily remove it from the card by deleting the \GPX\Western PA directory.
rbentnail wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:41 pm I can't answer the second question, I have never exported an entire list.

Why don't you export to C", change the name, import to Base Camp and see what you get?
Good idea. I just tried it. The resulting list is a duplicate of the original list which confirms that selecting a route and then doing an export results in a .gpx file that contains everything in the source list including all waypoints, tracks, and other routes.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Export vs. drag-and-drop...

Export works at the list level, exporting everything in the active list, however it allows you to create your own filename and control where the file is written

Drag-and-drop works at the route level. You can not control filename or location. The routes are written as sequentially numbered files (eg Route.gpx, Route0.gpx, Route1.gpx). Their waypoints are appended to a Waypoints.gpx file.

A selective clean-up of the SD card after using the Export method is easy if you create meaningful filenames (subdirectories help too). A selective clean-up of the SD card after using the drag-and-drop method is nearly impossible.

BTW, as for why I export to a location on C: and then copy to the SD card, it's because it provides me with a record outside of BaseCamp or the card.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:21 pm Export vs. drag-and-drop...

Export works at the list level, exporting everything in the active list, however it allows you to create your own filename and control where the file is written

Drag-and-drop works at the route level. You can not control filename or location. The routes are written as sequentially numbered files (eg Route.gpx, Route0.gpx, Route1.gpx). Their waypoints are appended to a Waypoints.gpx file.

A selective clean-up of the SD card after using the Export method is easy if you create meaningful filenames (subdirectories help too). A selective clean-up of the SD card after using the drag-and-drop method is nearly impossible.

BTW, as for why I export to a location on C: and then copy to the SD card, it's because it provides me with a record outside of BaseCamp or the card.

You've got me confused as hell, you know that right? Are you looking at the card separated from the XT? B/C when I look at my card IN the XT I can delete routes by file name that they were transferred with. None of that Route1, Route BS you're talking about. And as long as it's not imported into the XT they can be deleted from the card right there in Base Camp.

For a multiday ride as you describe, I'm obviously not so anal :D about file names or placement. I name mine D1 to Cleveland, D2 to Cleveland, D3 to Hartford, D4 to Hartford, D5 go Home, D6 go home. I drag-n-drop en masse to the SD card. They show up with that name. When I get home I delete them from the XT, then from the card. I get "the need" for organization but when it becomes problematic it's just too much.

I also don't understand why you are getting an export of an entire list. When I make a selection then pick EXPORT SELECTION, it exports ONLY that selection. Nothing else in the list goes.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:47 pm You've got me confused as hell, you know that right? Are you looking at the card separated from the XT?
Yes, the card is out of the XT. That explains why you are confused. The card is in a card reader instead of the XT to save on cable connects/disconnects to the XT. That jack failed on my first XT so I'm a little paranoid when using it.

rbentnail wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:47 pm I also don't understand why you are getting an export of an entire list. When I make a selection then pick EXPORT SELECTION, it exports ONLY that selection. Nothing else in the list goes.
I just retested this and the list waypoints that weren't in the route did not get exported. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:47 pm B/C when I look at my card IN the XT I can delete routes by file name that they were transferred with. None of that Route1, Route BS you're talking about. And as long as it's not imported into the XT they can be deleted from the card right there in Base Camp.
Due to a delay in the starting date of my trip I have had to change some lodging locations resulting in some route changes. I tried the method of working with the SD card solely in BaseCamp and what I came to understand is that when deleting data you must intentionally delete Routes, their Waypoints, and Tracks if created. Any of these not intentionally deleted remain on the card. I have returned to working with the card in a file explorer. One .gpx file per day containing an export of its route and track, exported to a location on C: and then copied to the card. If I need to modify a day's route I just delete that file of the card, do a new export, then copy the new file to the card. The only thing that would make this easier is if BaseCamp saw the file structure on the card as a destination for an export.

This method meets my need for maintaining an uncluttered card. To each his own though, of course.