new unit

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: new unit

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 pm ok, I had a previous post that helped me about the "up ahead feature" Train Tracks, curves and what not. I found how to disable it and it was not doing the pop up. Well now after messing with my themes it is still unchecked but I get the pop ups. ANy idea why?
Ok, I've been messing with mine some and I'm wondering if we're talking about two different things here. I see there are "Up Ahead" locations and "Audible Alerts":

"UP AHEAD" drove me crazy for a while by displaying restaurants, gas stations, etc. which cluttered the map so badly that I could not see the roads sometimes. All this can be turned off.

"Alerts" are the banner ones that show up with railroad crossing, curve ahead, speed limit ahead, etc. For these, only the audible part can be turned off, the display part will always be there, it can not be turned off.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I guess I am referring to "alerts", like speed limit or animal crossing, the one that pisses me off is the curve ahead......I drive my bike on curvy roads on purpose. Why do I need a banner at the top telling me there is a curve in 1/2 mile......1000 ft.......500 ft......what really sucks is if I am on another screen then it pops up and STAYS up until I hit OK.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am I guess I am referring to "alerts", like speed limit or animal crossing, the one that pisses me off is the curve ahead......I drive my bike on curvy roads on purpose. Why do I need a banner at the top telling me there is a curve in 1/2 mile......1000 ft.......500 ft......what really sucks is if I am on another screen then it pops up and STAYS up until I hit OK.
Yeah, that crap is truly annoying, I wish it could be turned off. On occasion the red banner across the top keeps me from seeing the turn instruction. Makes you wonder where the developers live & drive- where I am we have big yellow signs for railroad crossings, curves, speed limit reductions, etc. I really don't need all that extra unnecessary clutter on the screen.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
blacktiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by blacktiger »

patrickg450 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:24 am Hey there guys, lurker for a bit just joined up to ask some questions.

I have a new Zumo 595, using BaseCamp. I had been using a 60CSX with MapSource.
Just as an extra in case you didn't realise. You can still use Mapsource with the 595. All you have to do is save any routes as a .gpx instead of a .gdb and then drag and drop it into the 595 "gpx" folder.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Even easier. Just set your device to mass storage instead of mtp mode then it'll be seen by MapSource
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 pm
patrickg450 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am I guess I am referring to "alerts", like speed limit or animal crossing, the one that pisses me off is the curve ahead......I drive my bike on curvy roads on purpose. Why do I need a banner at the top telling me there is a curve in 1/2 mile......1000 ft.......500 ft......what really sucks is if I am on another screen then it pops up and STAYS up until I hit OK.
Yeah, that crap is truly annoying, I wish it could be turned off. On occasion the red banner across the top keeps me from seeing the turn instruction. Makes you wonder where the developers live & drive- where I am we have big yellow signs for railroad crossings, curves, speed limit reductions, etc. I really don't need all that extra unnecessary clutter on the screen.

Ok so it CAN NOT be turned off......well crap. Thanks.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

SO I have had it hooked up to the PC a few times, where do you change it MTP mode? I am familiar with saving as .GDB vs .GPX

Thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Start zumo by itself and go to Volume Screen. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds. The Developers Screen will pop up. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE. Select mass storage

Note some models may be slightly different so report back if that doesn't work.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

thanks!!!!