Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: 3D AM Adapter

Post by Stu »

Don wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:12 pm Hi Stu, Soldered the new converter in today, still not showing a charge on the Zumo. Checked the voltage at the Garmin pins voltage showing 5.09 volts. Any help would be appreciated. Kind Regards, Don.
Hard to say without actually looking at it and testing it myself

Is the zumo powering on when you turn the ignition on?
Don
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Don »

Morning Stu, yes the Zumo is powering on when ignition is turned on and turns off eventually when ignition is turned off. I tested the amp output across the two pins that the Zumo gets its power from only showing 0.46 amps and voltage 5.09. I don't know if that is the correct way to test the amps output.
Kind Regards.
purds
Great Britain

Post by purds »

If the unit powers up when the ignition is switched on then the pins must be making contact with the unit.
Are you sure you are not getting a charging symbol on the unit because its already fully charged? (I'm assuming here that the symbol does indeed go out when fully charged?)
If you ride with it in use for an extended period does the charging symbol then come on?
Does the unit battery go flat and shut down after a few hours of riding?
Don
Great Britain

Post by Don »

Hi Stu, I don't know if the charging icon goes out when the unit is fully charged or not, all I know is if I connect the Zumo to a USB port on the bike the charging icon comes on. I have connected the Zumo to the BMW cradle with the 3D AM adapter no charging icon showing then connected the Zumo to the USB and the charging icon shows. Kind Regards,
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@Don it was @purds that replied above not me :)

Anyway to answer @purds the zumo has a charge/external power indicator constantly when its connected to power

When you first turn the ignition on (not starting the bike) do you have the battery icon in the top right corner with the electricity bolt through it?

Then what happens when you start the bike?
Don
Great Britain

Post by Don »

Sorry Purd I thought it was Stu who answered me. when I turn on the ignition the Zumo powers up showing the battery indicator with the green bar on the top right hand side of the Zumo with no electricity bolt through it. if I attach a usb cable from my Zumo to my bikes usb port the electicity bolt shows on the green bar showing the Zumo is charging.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Well that is odd!

If it is powering on with the ignition on its obviously getting power

Whats your location? I am happy to take a look if you are close enough
Don
Great Britain

Post by Don »

Morning Stu, I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I live in Helensburgh up in Scotland. Thanks for all your help on this. Was that the correct way to test the amps output across the two pins as I was only getting 0.46 amps, correct me if I am wrong but I thought you said the Zumo required 5 volts and two amps output.Kind Regards.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

You need a load on to it to see what the amp draw is as it will adjust to what is required
Don
Great Britain

Post by Don »

Thanks Stu.