"Cannot calculate the route" message

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: "Cannot calculate the route" message

Post by rbentnail »

tombarrington wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:16 am I use the Zumo almost exclusively for all-day and multi-day trips. I almost never enter a location and let it calculate unless it's a restaurant or something. The "cannot calculate" thing is a PITA and I expect better from Garmin.
I'm seriously considering mounting the 595 back on the bike. It NEVER has this problem. At home it's manageable but out on the road I don't know any better so trusting the XT is difficult at best. No way I'm even remotely considering an XT2.

We all have different needs and do things differently but I often make a simple route on the XT itself. I NEVER use the Shape Route tool, that is a disaster. I pick a destination and GO. Then pick points to pass through starting at the destination and working backwards, after each point I pick 'Add As Next Stop'. I do this mostly when I'm somewhere and someone local recommends something to see, do or eat. The 595 is more intuitive it seems, understanding what I'm doing. The XT routing decision to take higher limit (faster) roads and not calculate faster time really messes up things.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Stu wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:06 am I have had this once or twice and it sounds like it's related to this viewtopic.php?t=2030
I came across this post when searching the forum but only read a couple pages. Now I'll read the whole thing. I wonder if changing Off-Route Recalculation from Automatic to Prompted would help, at least in areas with which I am already familiar.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

tombarrington wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:21 pm
Stu wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:06 am I have had this once or twice and it sounds like it's related to this viewtopic.php?t=2030
I came across this post when searching the forum but only read a couple pages. Now I'll read the whole thing. I wonder if changing Off-Route Recalculation from Automatic to Prompted would help, at least in areas with which I am already familiar.
It probably would and also showing the track of the route too can help